Latest Post

21 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Orton Effect

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Orton Effect posted by pathography January 25, 2009 05:51AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

Something that I stumbled upon, and have never heard of. Does any one know anything about it, or have LB example? Its something that took my fancy so I reckon that I am going to try to figure it out. I reckon that the babies were made for things like this...
Re: Orton Effect posted by Howie January 25, 2009 09:14AM reply | quote
posted by Howie

Pathography, I am new to using a Lensbaby so I am not sure how to get the "Orton" effect using a Lensbaby.

However, on the online photo image editor, www.picnik.com, there is a creative effect you can apply called "Orton-ish" It's located under the "Create" tab under "Effects." I used "Orton-ish" on the photo I've attached of my pug mix, Lucy.

Good luck!
Re: Orton Effect posted by ranfoto January 25, 2009 03:01PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

From Orton Effect PCIN.net

You can use the same technique as with film, two images, overexposed the same way, and in your image editing program place your out of focus image on tip of your in focus image as a layer and choose multiply as your blending mode. Of course this means always taking at least two images of your scene and always using a tripod. Another method is to use a single image to create a layer, now opening up the effect to any image you have in your collection.

See PCIN.net for complete information, several Benders have used this effect in the past .....but it slips my mind where to point you to, maybe use search under Orton effect ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 03:05PM by ranfoto.
Re: Orton Effect posted by prfrobbins January 25, 2009 11:17PM reply | quote
posted by prfrobbins

Have a look here.

[pcin.net]

Mild Ramblings at [www.philipnotphil.com]
Biscuit Tin at [www.biscuit-tin.com]
Flickr Set [www.flickr.com]
Re: Orton Effect posted by MattW January 26, 2009 06:14AM reply | quote
posted by MattW

The first pic of Broadway Tower has Orton applied, using Photomatix.

[www.lensbaby.com],

Matthew
Re: Orton Effect posted by pathography January 27, 2009 05:00AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

I manged one, I think. Done the proper way, in camera with two differently exposed images. The first was shot at f11, the second and f2 and pulled out of focus slightly. Then layered in PS- I'll need to work on it a bit more though. Thanks for all the input.
Plastic optic by the way, figured it would add to the effect
Re: Orton Effect posted by ScottM January 27, 2009 05:31AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

you can download an action at this site for the orton effect [www.atncentral.com]

other actions and frames are great on this site also

attached photo is a before and after action applied.
Scott
Re: Orton Effect posted by pathography January 27, 2009 07:30AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

interesting Scott, there an awful lot there. I think the LB one is a bit funny. It just doesn't look natural to me
Re: Orton Effect posted by ScottM January 27, 2009 10:23AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Patrick, I guess if you cant afford the lensbaby then why not fake it in photoshop with an action.
Scott
Re: Orton Effect posted by jankapoor January 28, 2009 10:31PM reply | quote
posted by jankapoor

Hi Scott--
Thanks for the link; lots of interesting stuff to play with!

Jan

Landscape, nature and still life using pinhole, zoneplate, Lensbaby DSLR and toy cameras; alternative printing processes including cyanotype, VDB and platinum/palladium. My website: [www.jankapoor.net]
Re: Orton Effect posted by JDenny January 29, 2009 03:32PM reply | quote
posted by JDenny

Hello Patrick - Below are two early LBO & LB2 (respectively) images that were treated using an Orton approach. The first one is a Digital Orton, which can be easily done with a single image and Photoshop. The second is one where I accidentally shot two images in rapid succession with the LB2, one in focus and the other as I let the focus drift/relax. Please see instructions below:

Digital Orton: (see cacti flowers)
[lensbaby.com],

Double Image Orton: (see Candy Apple Red Car)
[lensbaby.com],

Instructions:
1. Begin by opening a .jpg file of your own.
2. In the Layers panel, rename this Original layer to "Blur" Layer by double-clicking the layer name.
3. Create a duplicate of the layer by dragging it down to the New Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.
4. Rename this new layer "Multiply" Layer. This layer should be the top most layer. If it's not, move it above the Blur layer.
5. Hide the Multiply layer from view by clicking the eye icon next to that layer's name.
6. Select the bottom "Blur" Layer and choose Image > Adjustments > Levels.
7. Set your three slider values, from left to right, at 31, 1.8, and 194. (just a suggestion to get going as it really depends somewhat on the brightness of the original image; feel free to experiment).
8. Click OK. In case you are wondering, the idea is to make this blur image lighter than normal.
9. Add a second effect to this layer by selecting Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
10. Set the value of the blur to 20-25 and click OK. The image is now seriously out of focus. Just the way you want it. (Again feel free to experiment).
11. Make the Multiply layer visible again by clicking on the eye and select/highlight this layer now.
12. You need to alter the tonality of this image, but you'll do so using the Brightness/Contrast found under Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast).
13. Set the Brightness to a value of 50. As bad as this looks right now, these changes are necessary so the blending mode works.
14. With the top layer active, select the Blend Mode pop-up menu on top of the layer stack and change the Blend Mode from Normal to Multiply. TA DAAAA! The blending of the two images through the Multiply Blend Mode gives you a soft, dreamy quality. To alter the effect slightly, adjust the Opacity slider of the top layer to taste. The Opacity slider is next to the Blend Mode pop-up menu.
15. You will add one more step to this image and call it done. Select the Blur layer one more time, and select Filter > Noise > Add Noise. Try either Gaussian or uniform noise (try setting a value from 4 to 12). This adds a gritty, film grain look to the image. Again, experiment with the Noise value until you have something you are happy with.
16. Flatten the image, save the file to a new name with maybe “Orton” to indicate effect. That’s it.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today