Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

7 hours ago by PBlais

Re: Wedding moments 2

view post

Right Lensbaby for the Job?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Right Lensbaby for the Job? posted by niceparabola January 24, 2009 02:13AM reply | quote
posted by niceparabola
Hey there. So I'm completely new to this whole wonderful world of Lensbaby. And even though I've been taking photos as a hobby for about 3/4 years now, I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to lenses and camera tech stuff in general.

I've figured out a technique for getting very selective focus that gives an overall dreamy sort of look, as seen in my pictures that I included here.

So what I've been doing is holding my Asahi Super-Takumar 1:1.8/55 lens in front of the camera body on my Canon EOS Rebel XTi, and angling it in order to get the kind of focus that I want. And I really love this technique and it's been working super well for me.

But it seems like using a Lensbaby might just be a smarter way of going about it? Or at least more practical. It'd be nice to have the lens actually -attached- to the camera body. Sometimes it's hard to stabilize the lens when I'm holding it away from the camera.

So. I'm thinking that the Muse would probably be the best option for the results I'm looking for. What I'm not sure of is which optic I should get to go along with it. I figured anything but the Double Glass.

What I need/want from the lens and optic is to keep getting a similar look [light leaks, lens flares, distortion but the ability to get sharp focus on the areas I want while still having softness in other areas] to what I have been with my Pentax technique.

Sorry if I rambled on for too long... but. Thanks for your help :) I'm pretty excited by the possibilities a Lensbaby could bring me...

-Alie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 02:15AM by niceparabola.
Re: Right Lensbaby for the Job? posted by niceparabola January 24, 2009 06:29AM reply | quote
posted by niceparabola
Okay so I got too excited and ordered the Muse with the plastic optic. :D

-Alie
Re: Right Lensbaby for the Job? posted by igorsv January 24, 2009 06:37AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

Alie, the effect you've been enjoying is pretty much what can be expected from the tilt-shift type of lenses. Canon TS lenses would give you that. The LB effect is different, I recommend you to browse this web site, explore a huge number of image selected as favorites and decide if the LB effect is suitable for your artistic vision.

By the way, the LB Doublet glass optic is very sharp in the sweet spot area.

Igor
Re: Right Lensbaby for the Job? posted by rannestad January 24, 2009 06:52AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Very interesting technique. I think the choice of the muse is great. You will not get the same results as in your shown images, but it will be something for you (I assume). The plastic will probably also be good for you.

If you want to have a look into tilt/shift without paying too much, you may have a look at rugift.com. Google also the hartblei lens.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Right Lensbaby for the Job? posted by ranfoto January 24, 2009 09:24AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Alie : Thanks for posting these effects......very kewl, plus now that you've already taken the plunge to go Bending, don't think you have to stop experimenting with adding on modifiers, other optics, mattes, conversion lenses.

Bending is all of these techiniques ....we all have to figure out "HOW" to attach items to our Benders .....Evolution has always been the key to this aRtform !

Welcome .....

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today