Lensbaby Studio Forums

How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by whitemiata January 23, 2009 03:53AM reply | quote
posted by whitemiata
You listen to rannestad's recommendations.

After reading one of his posts and exchanging some private messages with him, I ordered:

1. A Canon EF-S Precision Matte focusing screen

2. A KPS 1.3x Eyepiece magnifier

I cannot fully explain how SATISFIED I am with the results. The combo has improved my ability to focus with my 3G by an immense amount. I can clearly see where the sweet spot is and how it moves around even wide open.

The EF-S makes the bigger difference in that it shows you a MUCH TRUER representation of what the sensor will see in terms of DOF.

The KPS seems to be an excellent quality magnifier, I don't notice any significant vignetting in the corners and having the bigger view is VERY NICE! I would definitelly advise AGAINST this for anyone with Eyeglasses though, as far as I can tell it makes the viewfinder unusable with glasses.

Anyway... a BIG thank you to Rannestad for pointing me in the right direction!
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by jad January 23, 2009 11:24PM reply | quote
posted by jad

I have all Nikon equipment and have trouble seeing to focus at times. What is the KPS Eyepiece? Thank you for posting.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by ranfoto January 24, 2009 09:10AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

What is the KPS Eyepiece?

Provides a 1.3X magnified view with added comfort.
Compatible with Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, & Olympus Digital SLR Cameras
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by jad January 24, 2009 09:47PM reply | quote
posted by jad

Thanks Ran. I will check on that.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by ranfoto January 25, 2009 02:45PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Now to find one .....that will be the big question :)
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by whitemiata January 26, 2009 12:41AM reply | quote
posted by whitemiata
I bought mine on Ebay. There's a seller named ROXSEN who I think sells from Hong Kong that sells them.

Here's one of his auctions:

[cgi.ebay.com]

incidentally he's got very good feedback, and ships to the US pretty quickly ... took maybe 10 days to get mine.

For US buyers - If you look on ebay you'll see he has both auctions identified as international (priced in GPB) and others that aren't specifically identified as international (priced in $) ... I did the math and it turned out that at current exchange rates (when I placed my order) the international price came out to abut $3.50 less than ordering in dollars. So I actually bid on an international auction.

Anyway... I'm in no way associated with the seller, just a satisfied customer :-)

Alessandro

P.S. Please note that I would definitelly ascribe MORE of the improvement in my setup to the Canon EF-S screen than the 1.3 magnifier. I love the magnifier and think it's worth the money (especially considering that it's compatible with all sorts of cameras so I'll prolly have it with me for years - assuming it lasts) but don't expect MIRACLES from it... it ONLY makes what you see noticeably larger, it doesn't change WHAT you're seeing (the focus screen does that)
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by rannestad January 27, 2009 05:27AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Whoah. Thank you. I am glad that this worked out for you. It has really worked for me, and I am glad others have the same experience.

For those who cannot get original focusing screens (like the Canon EF-s, EE-S and so on), check out the katz eye (katzeyeoptics.com). Order the screen without split prism in the middle and without brightness enhancement. I have made a post about this:
[lensbaby.com],

In the post it says that I have only tested for a couple of hours. Now I have tested much more, and it is ultra precise. Love it. The katzeye may even be better than the original Canon.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by harald walker February 07, 2009 11:05PM reply | quote
posted by harald walker

I found the Live View mode of my Nikon D300 to be very useful. The big display helps and you can zoom in. It gave me fairly good control. At the moment I only have the Muse, so keeping it in focus is the bigger challenge. It should be easier with the Composer or Control Freak.
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by BARONDLA February 09, 2009 01:13PM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

I use the Pentax mag eyepiece on my pentax. It works with glasses - barely misses the edges if your eye isn't centered. Easy to focus. Also helps that DS, K10D, and K20D have real pentaprism. That adds more mag. Can get this in higher level Nikon & Canon bodies too.
thanks
barondla
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by Mindy May 10, 2009 12:27PM reply | quote
posted by Mindy
I tried to find one of these screens for a Canon EOS Rebel XT but could not find any. Only could find it for D40 camera. Do they not make them for my camera?
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by vicious May 14, 2009 03:14PM reply | quote
posted by vicious
seems like 50€ for the KPS 1.3x is a thing to think about it before taking it, but if it solves the way of focusing, could be an idea :-)

Thanks for sharing, i didn't know about this gadget :-)
Re: How do I have a MUCH EASIER time focusing my LB? posted by emco July 13, 2009 08:36PM reply | quote
posted by emco
the best way is .....
liveView: post by whitemiata

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today