Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

47 minutes ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 "Two Bees"

view post

the flood before the purchase

Newer Topic | Older Topic

the flood before the purchase posted by caranx December 01, 2008 11:19PM reply | quote
posted by caranx
... the flood of questions of course...

Hi, I'm new tot his forum and even more new to the lensbabies world, so new that i don 't even own one... :-) I have few questions that I'm sure you guys can answer, the first one is regarding Nikon users. I'm thinking about buying the Composer to use with a Nikon D80 body. I understand that metering doesn't work with this body but I wonder if the camera meter it would at least work in Manual,showing the correct exposure in the viewfinder.

Second question is related to the focal of the lenses. Are they based on 35mm or APS sensors?

Since I use a lot the wide angles, do you think that the adapter makes any sense? Vignetting or cutted cornes is an issue?

How close can you get to the subject when using the macro adapter?

The last one more than a question is a wish. Wouldn't it be great to have a 15 or 20mm equivalent lensbaby for some dramatic wide angle images?

Thanks in advance for your kind feedback, I can see a great potential in these lenses for my kind of work.

Ciao

Nicola

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 03:33AM by caranx.
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by ranfoto December 02, 2008 04:35AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Nicola:

The Nikon D80 won't meter at all with a LB, but it's not that big a problem to get great exposures, in fact because you have to figure out everything you get the very best images .......with a digital body, it's like using electronic Polaroid ......go for it !

We seem to live in a retro world based on 35mm film camera perspectives, so the real perspective is a slight telephoto on the APS size digi sensors, but again not a problem .

I use fisheye conversion lenses to go really wide, Craig has a new .42X conversion optic almost ready forsale .....that will give you a very nice wide angle ......with conversion optics you can get any perspective you desire, plus you can pick and choose from many options to get sharper images or more organic inspired images.....that's part of the fun, discovering what works for your style of Bending .

As to the Macro Bending ...hee, there's so many different ways to do it ......I suggest getting the Macro kit, it works very well to get you going and you can add a wider conversion lens on top of the Macros to get closer or funkier.

You have to remember that Bending is a different aRTform, it's not just photography, plus in step two there's Blending to finish up in your favorite post production software ....

Get ready for a whole new adventure if you're into aRt, but I may be just a bit biased on the subject :))
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by caranx December 02, 2008 05:38AM reply | quote
posted by caranx
Thank you very much for your reply. This really looks like a lot of fun and if there's a fisheye adapter on the way it could only get better...to spend a lot more money into this darn photo craze :-)

When you mention the conversion optics you mean that you can use stuff from other manufacturers or are you just talking about the lensbabies accessories? Not that I don't think they're worthwile, but I'm wondering if for my specific needs I can find something different that lensbabies might not have at the moment.

Thanks for the link to your page, if I ever start using the LB I will show up there.

Ciao

Nicola

www.nicolazingarelli.com
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by Craig (Admin) December 02, 2008 10:40AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

caranx
When you mention the conversion optics you mean that you can use stuff from other manufacturers or are you just talking about the lensbabies accessories? Not that I don't think they're worthwile, but I'm wondering if for my specific needs I can find something different that lensbabies might not have at the moment.

Hi Nicola,

You can use most any 37mm accessory lenses. Be careful about the wide angles that are labeled specifically for camcorders as many of the camcorder wides, especially the very small and compact accessory lenses, utilize the unique characteristics of camcorder zooms set to the wide end of their range and will not work with a Lensbaby.

Our 0.42x Super Wide Angle that is coming out soon (packaging is giving us grief so it will likely come out after the first of the year) gives about a 20mm field of view (there is a lot of distortion similar to fisheye lenses so the focal length is hard to equate with a standard lens with little distortion but 20mm is about right. With a full frame sensor and a super wide you will get vignetting as soon as you start to tilt. With no tilt the sweet spot of a Lensbaby is always in the center of the image.

Our 0.6x wide angle accessory lens that is available in the wide/tele kit also has a lot of distortion and vignettes quickly, though not right away, when used with full frame sensor cameras.

Looks like Randy covered everything else. Thanks Randy.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Hoping to see Lensbaby images of yours here soon.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by BearWoodsDavid December 02, 2008 11:10AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I think they answered everything so all I can do is say I am looking forward to seeing your images on the forum soon!
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by caranx December 02, 2008 05:43PM reply | quote
posted by caranx
Thanks everybody for your replies, I think I have the whole picture clear now. If I was a wise guy, I would save my money and try to put my hands on a D700, which is high on my wish list, thus, since I ain't that man, I'm spreading the $$$ on many little thing which I use to get a more creative photographic style or to explore alternative techniques. Craig, the idea of a 20mm wide angle is exciting, and if the vignetting is severe...we'll crop!

I tried to contact your people here in Spain and I'm awaiting for a feedback, in case I get no news I'll probably place an order directely from you, but I'd like to wait for the new WA. In the meanwhile, please think about a "real" WA lens, a 15 to 20mm right from the scratch could be a winner :-)

Ciao

Nicola

[www.nicolazingarelli.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 05:44PM by caranx.
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by krabami February 04, 2009 04:41PM reply | quote
posted by krabami
Hi to all,

I am also new as a user and still have to purchase, just bought a D90 body and I really don't know which ones of the lb's I would choose, the muse I have tried from a friend and I loved it... my hearth goes out to the composer... but what is it with the control freak? I just don't know what to choose... can enybody give me a good advise?
Thanks!
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by ranfoto February 05, 2009 04:20AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Krabami: Good advice.....?

So many choices....hee .

If I were starting out and wasn't too sure about all this Bending Bizziness, then I would be sooo confused too even after reading all the FAQ's here.

If you want simple manipulation and ease of use choose the Composer. Plus get the swap kit for making different effects.

Want macro or very close focusing, add macro kit option.

Need wide or tele images with some abberration add conversion optics kit .

Want to just try out this Bending scene without breaking the bank account, plus want the most hands on way to create images.....go with the Muse and add accessories as wanted .

Are you more of a fussy sort of image maker, every detail important......like to do time exposures or still life studies.....Ho ! Then you're babe is the 3"G" or if you're in no particular hurry then wait for the release of the all new "Control Freak" that will be able to use all the latest swap optics .

Whatever your choice, it will be great, so don't worry.....go Bending....the sooner you get started the sooner you'll be thinking why is this so much fun ?

The choice is more about do you like impressionist aRtful images or is capturing every detail more your way of imaging, if so Bending may not be so fulfilling ......looking at the images shared here will give you more "advice" then any words we could blah blah blah about it !
Re: the flood before the purchase posted by jrflanne March 25, 2009 03:14AM reply | quote
posted by jrflanne
caranx
Thanks everybody for your replies, I think I have the whole picture clear now. If I was a wise guy, I would save my money and try to put my hands on a D700, which is high on my wish list, thus, since I ain't that man, I'm spreading the $$$ on many little thing which I use to get a more creative photographic style or to explore alternative techniques. Craig, the idea of a 20mm wide angle is exciting, and if the vignetting is severe...we'll crop!

I tried to contact your people here in Spain and I'm awaiting for a feedback, in case I get no news I'll probably place an order directely from you, but I'd like to wait for the new WA. In the meanwhile, please think about a "real" WA lens, a 15 to 20mm right from the scratch could be a winner :-)

Ciao

Nicola

[www.nicolazingarelli.com]
Hey Nicola,
I've been using the D700 for a couple of months ago. The only reason I bought it was that I wanted full-frame and it's been worth every penny. I got a screaming great deal from B&H. I just got a Composer and have taken a total of 5 outdoor snapshots with it (I have a busted ankle so I don't get out much). I'll need to get used to focussing and bending but the thing is just cool and looks to be total fun. There is a lot of technique to evolve though. Now I'm thinkin' wide angle. Cheers.
Jack

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today