Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

10 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: 2E245

view post

Miniature effect possible with LB Composer?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by beachbill November 20, 2008 02:42AM reply | quote
posted by beachbill
Is it possible to get a "miniature" effect of a city-scape, etc. using a LB Composer as one can get with a tilt-shift lens where only things in focus are in the middle ground, in mid-frame horizontally? The blurred foreground and background simulate the look produced by a macro lens taking a close-up of something small.

Some Examples:

[jeffmeyers.smugmug.com]
[tesseract.smugmug.com]
[www.nytimes.com]
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by igorsv November 21, 2008 01:15AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

You will not get the same result with LB.
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by pathography November 21, 2008 01:48AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

The LB's have a curved field of focus, and a tilt-shift has a flat. Hence the difference, between the two and why one is not able to get the effect. It is quite easy to do in photoshop though-
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by MattW December 05, 2008 07:02PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

You won't match the effect, but you can get close.

Here are a couple couple of mine; the strongest effect seems to be when you are focussing in the distance.

[www.redbubble.com]

[www.redbubble.com]

[www.redbubble.com]

These were all done with the 3G rather than the composer.

Matthew
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by AJ December 11, 2008 08:04PM reply | quote
posted by AJ

I've also found that a high vantage point helps. You can't really get the same effect as a tilt and shift lens though, because of the before mentioned curved field of focus.

Peace and Happiness
AJ

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by chungnguyen December 17, 2008 09:16AM reply | quote
posted by chungnguyen
@Matthew
Great sample photos (especially the Hyde Park one).
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by MattW December 19, 2008 11:49PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Thanks. One of the reasons I bought the LB was to save £1000 on buying a 'real' tilt shift, so I'm thrilled when I get somewhere close to the miniature look.

Matthew
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by pako January 02, 2009 02:45AM reply | quote
posted by pako
MattW
Thanks. One of the reasons I bought the LB was to save £1000 on buying a 'real' tilt shift, so I'm thrilled when I get somewhere close to the miniature look.

Matthew
hey Mattew
LB doesn't replace a tilt/shift lens. You can get some adapters on ebay for that (like: 130275114563)

Pako Dominguez
----------------------
www.phototeka.net
Re: Miniature effect possible with LB Composer? posted by Moiani February 09, 2009 01:57AM reply | quote
posted by Moiani
I guess this adapter won't help MattW or Beachbill as it is to the "shift" function only (perspective correction). The "miniature effect" is achieved with the "tilt".

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today