Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 minute ago by jffoto

Re: Fly Away (4)

view post

Cutting magnetic ap discs?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Cutting magnetic ap discs? posted by BARONDLA November 14, 2008 09:25AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Making a F2.4 disk for the Composer (to match LBO wide open). This will be a very thin ring when finished. What is the best tool to use to cut the magnetic material material?
thanks
barondla
Re: Cutting magnetic ap discs? posted by ranfoto November 15, 2008 04:13PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Well, a fixture on a lathe then grind a very sharp tool bit.

Down and dirty way, which will work just as well : Very sharp kitchen shears, black sharpie pen, compass or template to mark out the correct size, razor blade knife .....I prefer the snap off blade style .....to start your cut, then finish up with the shears .

Use a strong light so you can see the sharpie markings .

There are many ways, industrial punches, exacto knives mounted in an industrial compass, craft stores have all kinds of cutters, but I've tried them all and still come back to using my shears for most apertures I want to create fast without the hassle of making a big project out of a simple job !
Re: Cutting magnetic ap discs? posted by BARONDLA November 15, 2008 09:26PM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Thanks for the answer. Will probably use xacto/shears approach with a little sanding in the end. Want this to mimic LBO ap and to take up less room when holding in paper custom aps. The 2.8 ring hides a fair amount of usable area. Love the mag aps but kind of wish we also had a system like LBO. May try to come up with one.
thanks
barondla
Re: Cutting magnetic ap discs? posted by ranfoto November 16, 2008 04:36AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Here's a tip to hold in those non magnetic apertures and mattes:

Take a black piece of plastic that's springy, a good example is the plastic microwave type dinners come packaged in, measure the depth inside the lens cup, cut the plastic long enough so it rolls in a tube, this will hold those aps firmly in place .

If you desire some vignetting leave the length a bit longer, this is aRt not science, enjoy !
Re: Cutting magnetic ap discs? posted by skindiver January 21, 2009 10:57AM reply | quote
posted by skindiver
I am new to the community and I just wanted to say I love the work you are all doing here. What a fun, creative place to explore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 11:20AM by skindiver.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today