Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

55 minutes ago by noblenewf

Re: Macro

view post

I Want Flash To Work!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

I Want Flash To Work! posted by Angelera November 03, 2008 01:58AM reply | quote
posted by Angelera

Hi... My Lensbaby 3G arrived in the mail today. I am very excited to get started. I am using it with a Nikon D80. I have discovered that I need to turn my focus setting to Manual and that I need to figure out my shutter speed on my own. The one thing I just can't seem to do is get the flash to flash......

Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm really dyeing to use this thing to it's full ability!

I'm bringing it outside now but I'll be back to see if any of you SMART peeps have answered my question.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerely,
Ange
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by ranfoto November 03, 2008 03:15AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Ange: I don't think the D80 pop up flash can be defaulted to work with the Lensbaby. look in the manual for custom settings to see if it's possible . Since the current OEM lenses are not configured to work in the manual mode I don't think they thought to make the pop up flash have that provision ?

I use a regular flash like the SB 600 on auto or manual....that is..... non TTL configured ...to light my Bendy flash images .

I also like like to get the flash up about twelve inches higher then the pop up goes so I use a connecting cord on a bracket. I designed the bracket to adjust the flash over the lens either horizontal or vertical to keep the shadow area where I want it .

You'd think they would have made the pop up flash simple to use, but that doesn't seem to be the case......that's why they sell so many accessories to us ! :o
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by B-Townie November 03, 2008 08:14AM reply | quote
posted by B-Townie
Hi.
Just got a Composer for my birthday. Super pumped. But im definately having the same problem as Angelera, also on the D80. Im also finding the lens to be very fast. Wondering how to capture lighter images in darker settings? I havent delved into the manual quite yet but I intend to do so. If anyone could shed some light on these issues it be great.
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by BearWoodsDavid November 03, 2008 09:26AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I am using the D-200 and shoot with the flash in TTL with no problem. I am thinking there should be a way to pop up the flash and turn it a setting that will flash always. I looked at the product book and as long as you have the flash up it should fire. I would make sure you are at a shutter speed of 1/125th or slower. I will call some friends tomorrow and ask them.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by Ol' Don November 03, 2008 10:30AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

The D80 does not meter with LBs. the D200 does. I think that is probably the difference.

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by ranfoto November 03, 2008 11:32AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Looking at some of my non pro DSLR Nikons they only work with non Nikon manual lenses on the manual setting and you have to have an auto lens on for the pop up flash to fire.

Get an accessory flash !

For exposure control use your power settings or auto in non TTL mode .

The apertures will also control exposure, but you'll find that's the way you'll want to control the Bending effects, bokeh, or even depth of field.

When you start using create apertures or cut shapes for spectral highlight effects, then the exposure will have to be made with shutter speeds or power settings on the flash.

With a little practice it will all become clear .....have fun !

Update: I couldn't find a way to control the pop up flash on the Nikon D-40 in custom menus.....either it's not available or I better reread the users manual to see where they hid the manual setting ? No problem as I use an external flash anyway !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2008 04:21AM by ranfoto.
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by Angelera November 04, 2008 03:31AM reply | quote
posted by Angelera

Oh..... I am reading along here and realized that I should have mentioned that I am using a newly acquired SB800....... I haven't learned that yet either..... I'm so overwhelmed but in a good way I suppose......... I'm psyched to have the 800 but it's got a lot of settings I obviously need to learn. Keeping it in the mode it was set at when I first mounted it, the SB800 will not flash with the Lensbaby 3G attached to the D80.

I read that same thing Ol' Don..... about the D200.

Thanks for taking the time everyone. I'll try the non TTL setting on my external flash and see if that gets me what I want.

Grooviness unto you!

-Ange

"There's nothing like the smell of fixer in the morning!"
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by Angelera November 04, 2008 03:50AM reply | quote
posted by Angelera

Okie doke! That did it Ran D. Set to Auto the SB800 will flash with the Lensbaby 3G attached to the D80.

Here is a quick test shot.

Thanks all so very much!

-Ange

"There's nothing like the smell of fixer in the morning!"
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by BearWoodsDavid November 04, 2008 05:53AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Looks great.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by ranfoto November 07, 2008 05:02AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Glad to know you're back in the groooveeE with your Bendyness!

We all have to get up to speed with Techno factors so we can get back to our "Grooviness".....:)))
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by Craig (Admin) November 07, 2008 05:35AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm getting in on this conversation a little late. Using the pop-up flash on the D40,60,70,80,90 is possible by going into the menu for flash settings and changing the on camera flash to manual then setting the amount of light to 1/4, 1/2, etc. to expose your image properly.

A SB800 should work great in M or A modes on the D80.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by mark4flies November 08, 2008 03:36AM reply | quote
posted by mark4flies
It would be great to compile this information (available modes and related custom settings) for different camera bodies and flash units and store it in one place on the Lensbaby site for everybody to reference. It could be updated when new cameras (e.g., D700) or flash units (e.g., SB-900) become available.
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by Craig (Admin) November 10, 2008 09:05AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

It's buried a bit but you can find many answers here: [lensbaby.com]

Always needing a bit of updating. Users can ask the expert if you don't see an answer to your question.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by kmac November 12, 2008 01:26AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Glad I was poking around in this section - have the D80 and haven't been able to figure out how to use the flash - so, thanks!
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by mark4flies November 14, 2008 07:03AM reply | quote
posted by mark4flies
My first comment was not meant as a dig. The continued development of the Lensbaby product line and (equally important) the user support and experience is unparalleled. I really can't say enough good things about this amazing little niche in the world.

It was the fact that the user support level is so high that prompted me to suggest something that could be collected and highlighted on the site some where, somehow. Well defined areas (e.g., flash photography with a baby) could be developed into a regular area, perhaps as a FAQ or a new forum. Why leave them scattered about?

Minimize the digging, maximize the time spent shooting with a baby. That is all that I hoped to do. Thanks for listening!
Re: I Want Flash To Work! posted by B-Townie December 13, 2008 08:39AM reply | quote
posted by B-Townie
Thanks Craig,
lot of help.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today