Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

15 minutes ago by noblenewf

Re: Macro

view post

Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by BearWoodsDavid October 26, 2008 05:49AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

An old trick I learned years ago when using manual focus lenses, especially in low light, to make sure it is in focus is as follows:

Do your composition first.
Take a cheapo laser pointer and place it against the back of the viewfinder and turn it on.
It will produce a red dot where ever it is pointed.
If the dot is small and well defined, the subject is in focus.
If not adjust your focus until it is small and crisp.

I played with this even doing some bending on the 3G and the Composer and it works great.
The Composer is the easiest to use this technique because of the barrel focusing. But it is very easy to do with the 3G too. Let me know if this makes sense to everyone, if not I will take a photo of what I mean. Good luck and happy bending.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by paul morgan October 26, 2008 06:05AM reply | quote
posted by paul morgan

Clever idea, I`ve always wondered if a dandy lion chip could do the job :)
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by Craig (Admin) October 27, 2008 04:21PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Awesome trick! Thanks for the tip.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by ranfoto October 27, 2008 04:55PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I hope no one sees me doing this trick, Bending is weird enough without laz'er beams being eeh'-jected out of my Bender .....yikes!

Oh well it's almost Halloween .....:))
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by ScottM October 29, 2008 08:48AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

what a clever idea.
thanks, Scott
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by BearWoodsDavid October 29, 2008 09:22AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I can't take credit for the idea actually. I can't remember who it was that told me many years ago.....thanks though.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by BARONDLA October 30, 2008 09:42AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Saw something similar to this on a Graflex 4x5. It projected two lines and when focused they became 1. They were using the rangefinder to do it. Really cool. Saw a photographer use a light at the viewfinder eyepiece to focus on a copy stand. Woked well.
Some cameras will give focus confirmation in MF, using their AF sensor. My Pentax do this. It is useful at times. Other cameras may do it too. Will try the laser pointer trick.
thanks
barondla
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by MelissaGrace November 22, 2008 12:20PM reply | quote
posted by MelissaGrace
I would love it if you could take a picture showing what you are trying to describe. I am new to the Composer and new to the world of photography. I don't think I am clear on what the "sweet spot" is and when I refocus after bending the Composer should the area I am focusing on come in just as sharp? I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out. Good thing for me is I am having fun with this. Thanks.
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by ranfoto November 23, 2008 04:52AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Melissa: The sweetspot in "Bending lingo" is the area of sharpness surrounded by the area of aberration or blur, so when you Bend you place the area of interest in the sweetspot, compose, crop ..... in camera and click to get your Bendy ..... and of course you still need to have fun with the process :)
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by MelissaGrace November 24, 2008 03:16AM reply | quote
posted by MelissaGrace
Thanks, this is really helpful! I will get out and try it again today. I was able to focus in when the composer was in nadir but when I bent it I struggled getting my sweetspot back in focus. I am wondering if my diopter is out of focus.
This gives me a better visual so thank you!
Melissa
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by gimme09 November 25, 2008 02:46PM reply | quote
posted by gimme09

thanks for sharing.
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by weejo83 November 30, 2008 11:19AM reply | quote
posted by weejo83
Ok, I admit, I need help. I have the laser, but am not having the greatest luck figuring out how to do this technique. I'm using a Rebel XT - I can only use the viewfinder, not the LCD.

Thanks,

Joey
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by BearWoodsDavid December 01, 2008 04:50AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

You want to use the viewfinder. You put the laser to the viewfinder like it is your eye. Turn it on, then focus until the beam that is projected is crisp and sharp. The beam will go down the prism, over the mirror and through the lens to the subject. I hope this helps.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by weejo83 December 03, 2008 10:31AM reply | quote
posted by weejo83
Awesome! Thanks for the help,

Joey
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by RHWeiner December 04, 2008 04:10PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Cool trick. Now I have to go out and get a lazer pointer...and add to the 'toys' I have in my bag. :)

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by sudhir January 07, 2009 03:57AM reply | quote
posted by sudhir
wow thats a cool idea ,iv just started out and am absolutely confused but exited with all the jargon but this makes sooo much sense ,thanks
Re: Focus confirmation on the 3G and Composer posted by PeggySue67 January 07, 2009 04:13AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

What a great idea! I'm wondering if this will help me with my Pinhole Optic issue ?? Who knew Home Depot had camera equipment! lol

*peggy.sue*

“I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.” ~Jim Morrison

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today