Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

13 hours ago by barb

Re: getting started with lens baby

view post

How Do You Creative Ap?

1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Crabcakes October 05, 2008 02:55PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Kinda' surprised no one beat me to this!

Six apertures, one subject--one of my favorite flowers--a weed, really--they always look like they're dancing to me/for me (and they smell Fabulous!--Anyone know what they are?).

Really, a bad day to do this. It was horribly windy so I couldn't get all the shots framed the same but, oh well...

None the less, thought it would be illustrative of the various effects of different apertures.

My six favorite CrAps (TeeHee).
Reading them as one would English text--my goofy names for them and method of creation:

#1 "The Spider" : Dremel cutting wheel
#2 "The Daisy" : Exacto Knife
#3 "The Multi-Hole" : 1/16" drill bit on a Dremel
#4 "The Eight-Point Star" : Exacto Knife
#5 "The Google-Earth" or "The AT&T" : Exacto Knife
#6 "The Streak" : Dremel cutting wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 03:12PM by Crabcakes.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Crabcakes October 05, 2008 03:10PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

In the same order as above, but starting with the plain f5.6 Aperture, the same subject (relatively--given the windy conditions) with the different CrAps. In the last two I rotated the Streak and re-inserted it.

All taken with the 3G and Macro Kit.

NOW, Show us how YOU do it!! (Where are you Ran, Bjorn, Shurla, RichB....Etc....you've been doing it more and longer than I have...)

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 03:17PM by Crabcakes.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Crabcakes October 05, 2008 03:15PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Oh yeah, I had to adjust the exposure of some in LR--They're all roughly 5.6 but...some more than others...

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by rannestad October 05, 2008 09:06PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thanks for showing this. Interesting to see your apps. Actually I do not have that many apertures. I used to love the multi app so much I didn't change. Now I have made a multi slit (lik you also have). I have shown here: [lensbaby.com],

I am mentally working on an idea I got from reading this:[www.photozone.de] What about making an aperture wich gradually gets darker towards the ends. I tried quickly with some ND filter gel (for flashlights). Quite easy to modify, but the results didn't turn out as anything special. If anyone gets this idea working, please let us know. So now you've got a challenge, mr. Johnny:)

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Keithnc October 05, 2008 09:30PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Thanks for sharing your creations. I am fairly new to the LB and have the blank disc. Now is time to start cutting them up.
I really like your streak ap. It almost looked like frosted glass behind the flowers.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by BearWoodsDavid October 06, 2008 10:42AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Crabster for sharing what you have done with examples. I have some free time Thursday early, and an exacto knife and blank disc. That may be illegal here in Georgia though...
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by RichB October 06, 2008 01:09PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Crabby,

Thanks much for sharing the fine details on your great variety of creative aps! I like all of the images -- guess it depends on individual tastes or intents as to which is best.

Thanks again.

Rich
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by ranfoto October 06, 2008 02:01PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Ok Crabman.....here's how I did it. I used my mesh CrAp to Bend this, also I swapped the 2.0 optic out of my Freakin'G with my own macro optic and modified .5X coversion lens.

If I didn't use the modied coversion lens I wouldn't be able to focus beyond a foot or so ......not that anyone could tell with this mesh matte screen installed .
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by lokki October 06, 2008 03:05PM reply | quote
posted by lokki
Nice!

I've been wanting to play with cutting my own, but haven't gotten very far. The first thing I tried was to use mylar over a spare 2.8 for my 3G. Using a little custom jig I made from some plastic parts, I stretched the mylar taught over the ring with a little super glue to hold it in place.

From there, I tried making small incisions, but the mylar was too fragile. If anyone has some ideas on this kind of approach, I'd love to hear them. In the meantime, I have a plan to try and cut logos out to see what kind of coolness that can provide for commercial applications.

Another idea is to use parchment, which might let the 'aperture' be different than a flat plane...

[blog.lightningsymphony.com]
[photoshoptechniques.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 03:07PM by lokki.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by ranfoto October 07, 2008 10:00AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Lokki.....in the past several Benders having access to sign making digital cutters have made very professional apertures or mattes as I call them . Cutting the logos with computer control is nice especially if you do senior portraits or wedding work, where the extra effort will set you apart from the competition.

But really it's not necessary to go the computer route cutting vinal.

Next time you go food shopping you notice many items are packaged in black plastic containers, this thin plastic is perfect for fashioning special mattes and finely cut designs.

You can find these container new at Smart&Final type stores available to those in the catering business or anyone that needs bulk containers.

I just save the containers from my dinners, wash them up for my next creative session of aperture cutting .

If you place a sticky magnetic backing on these plastic mattes they will work as well as the LB kit blanks, which are better for simple shapes, but much harder to cut than the thin black plastic I described.

I found the magnetic material in bulk very inexpensive at craft stores, make sure you find the thin material and cut it like a washer shape so it levitates in your "G" or 2.0 Lensbaby.

For the Original LB or for placing in the filter retaining ring area, you don't need the magnetic backing, but you do have to make a sample circle that will fit snuggley in the 37mm threaded area.....do this first and test it, then use a frosted container like a milk bottle to fashion your template from for multi cutting of your new creative mattes.

Good luck and happy Bending !
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Jack Howard October 08, 2008 09:04PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

Michael's Craft store carries a line of Uchica Marvy punches that are the perfect size for creative aps...

The snowflake and dogpaw you see in my gallery are these punchers. My Jack O Lantern smiley is Xactoed. I'll be picking up the palm tree puncher for my next trip to Jamaica, too!

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by lokki October 10, 2008 11:41AM reply | quote
posted by lokki
Ran - excellent suggestion on the materials and method.

Jack - congrats on the book :) I love the snowflakes, and that tip about the punches is first-rate.

I guess my first stop tomorrow will be the craft store!
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Duh_Vinci October 18, 2008 11:15AM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

Great ideas everyone, thank you for sharing your creativity!

I've also used basic aqua paper and hobby razor set to cut whatever comes to mind, few samples from last Christmas...

Regards,
D
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Jack Howard October 21, 2008 04:42AM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

Pay attention to the in-photo appearance of assymetrical aps.

Depending on your focal distance, the specular highlights may appear inverted with an upright ap--other times, an inverted ap may appear proper--it depends on the focal distance.

It's confusing at first, but, really, you'll figure it out!

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Claire October 21, 2008 09:59PM reply | quote
posted by Claire

Are there any particular brands of (high quality) craft punches that anyone can recommend, that I might be able to get hold of in the UK?

I bought a couple of craft punches on ebay.co.uk (a spiral and a music note), but I don't think they're sharp enough/heavy duty enough to cope with the blank discs and my attempts have all ended in carnage. :(

I'm wary of ruining more discs and want to make sure I get it "right" with my next craft punch purchase.

Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2008 10:01PM by Claire.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Jack Howard October 22, 2008 04:24AM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

Claire: the Uchida Marvy work for me...

[www.marvy.com]

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by ranfoto October 22, 2008 07:44AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

The problem with most craft punches is they are designed for paper punching not plastic or especailly the the apertures in the LB creative kit .

The punches that look like scissors do work if the shapes are not too intricate .......I feel you can use any punch on black cardboard then cut a big circle out of your LB ap to keep the paper matte (ap) in place .

Also be very careful if you buy some of the punches because they won't cut in the center of the LB ap.......they are made for the punched out shape, not to be centered in a larger circle like we need them to .

By the way I've broken quite a few punches, I prefer the ones make from metal, but the plastic handles are way cheaper in the kit....Provo Craft brand in the USA.....but made in China .
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by BlueGecko November 17, 2008 12:29PM reply | quote
posted by BlueGecko
With the Uchica Marvy punches, are you using LB blanks, or are you using some other material and putting it on a 2.8 circle?

Thanks much for all the advice!
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Jack Howard November 17, 2008 12:59PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

I'm using the magnetic blanks and um...using a lot of force...it usually takes a couple of times to push it all the way through...and their new design is a full-on lever--not a thumb-pusher which makes it a bit easier ;)

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by ERIKAB4 December 20, 2008 11:50PM reply | quote
posted by ERIKAB4

What a great study! So farI have only cut three of my own and it's been great. As stated here, you do have be mindfull of designs that have a true left/right or up/down dirrection.
It would be great if they just sold a set of nothing but blank disks. The Creative one is sush a reasonable price as it is ... if you sold a blank set for the same reasonable price I bet we'd buy them like hot cakes!
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by speedeep December 31, 2008 01:09AM reply | quote
posted by speedeep
Has anyone had any luck using some sort of CNC (computer numerical control) cutter or laser to cut a design out of the aperture discs? I don't know the specific capabilities of a Cricut (home cutting unit) or an industrial cutter but imagine something like this would work. Any ideas on how one would fix the disc in place while working on it?

How do you hold the disc securely while cutting on it with X-acto?

I'm trying to find someone local (Alabama) or not so local that can do this kind of work based on my designs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 01:32AM by speedeep.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by speedeep December 31, 2008 01:27AM reply | quote
posted by speedeep
I was wondering if I need to have a blank center of a certain size in my aperture, but several of the apertures pictured above seem to prove you don't need that.

Does anyone have any feedback on drilling straight in, drilling at some angle, or mixing drilling angles (at random or in a pattern) to create different effects?

Has anyone messed around with using aluminum foil (over say a f2.8 aperture's hole) to create a very tiny pinhole (or other effects?)
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by ranfoto January 02, 2009 02:18PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Speedee P : I use CNC cutters to make lots of things in my business. I also bought a Cricut machine to cut mattes, the new ones that cut down to a quater inch are the way to go.

You'll need to purchase a special software to design your own designs called Sure Cuts A Lot, be warned that this software is not from the Cricut folks, as they sell cartridges that cost plenty and you can't design a thing with their brand of software, just cut what thay offer, which is scrap book stuff and a few standard shapes among all the cartridges.

You'll need to upgrade the cutting blade too, as it was designed for paper and very thin vinyl.

Several hackers have modified the Cricut machine, see Utube videos on the subject for more info .

As to making you own LB aperture shapes you're only limited by your own thinking .....just experiment.....that's part of the fun of Bending it your own way !

Foil....it very kewl stuff, get the black stuff used by the cinema gaffers, that's what I use, plus vinyl and plastic.

For LB pinhole aps go very tiny, too big will not give you great results, maybe it should be named microhole not pin hole :)

The question regarding "How do you hold the Aps to cut them" : The LB disks are for cutting with punches or Xacto knives .....you have to be careful when hand holding .

Use a self healing pad underneath if using a knife or make a simple fixture to hold the apeture if using a rotary tool to cut with.

If you decide to go the CNC way .....well... I buy magnetic sheeting, the Cricut uses sticky cutting pads to hold the material, so again you'll need to purchase sheets of material not precut LB disks.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject, happy hacking to you !

Many have asked if I make customs aperture disks for others ?

No .....I make custom Benders only, because Craig and Sam don't make custom units anymore as far as I know, so custom aperture making is still a do it yourself project .

Now with the new line of Lensbabies offered, why not just buy the swappers and go Bending .....a few craft punches with basic shapes can give one many combinations, no need to even go CNC either, as one can probably print litho negs with a few chemicals and film or even print suitable mattes on a printer that will do great images ? You just need to see what materials are available to be creative .
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by n2hhr May 04, 2009 06:36AM reply | quote
posted by n2hhr
Using the punches do you use slow steady pressure or a smack quick hit on the handle? Lining up the disk to be centered will be a pain, but a piece of paper and some lines should do it. The punches are pretty cheep....

Mark Hilliard, N2HHR

www.MarkHilliardAtelier.com
www.InfraredAtelier.com
www.LowCountry-Hummingbirds.com
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Scootersdaddy July 14, 2009 08:56PM reply | quote
posted by Scootersdaddy
Very interesting thread. I'd like to see more custom aperture discs and examples if anyone is willing to share.

--Peter
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Crabcakes July 15, 2009 06:36AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

OK, I'll play...

Here's some links to past threads re: my CrAps:

[lensbaby.com], (the last fly-shot)
[lensbaby.com],
[lensbaby.com],
[lensbaby.com],
[lensbaby.com],
[lensbaby.com],

Also definitely check out ranfoto's and rannestad's galleries (by clicking on their names in their posts) for lots of cool ideas.

Don't know if you've come across this gallery either:

[lensbaby.com]

The "Official" LB Creative Aperture Gallery. Just hit the "Accessory" drop-down and click on "creative aperture kit"

Have fun!
See ya soon,

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 06:40AM by Crabcakes.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by carlb August 05, 2009 03:38AM reply | quote
posted by carlb

I was reading this thread earlier today and it got me thinking. Anyhow I got home and couldn't wait to try out one of my ideas. Put simply the sticky strip on a post it note is just wide enough to cover the aperture on the 2.8 ring, so with a pair of scissors and a couple of minutes you can easily create a C/A. You can even use different coloured post it notes to lend a different hue to your pictures or use a black marker to blot out the colour.

The first two in the sequence had a double chevron shape cut into a yellow post it, the second pair were with a green post it and a some random lines.

I've only just started with this but I can see quite a few possibilities with this.

Another idea I had was to use the coloured cellophane from sweet wrappers and a laminating pouch - I'm sure you can see where this one goes. Trouble is I haven't got any coloured sweet wrappers. Too bad - I'll just have to pop out and buy a box of Quality Street or Roses :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 03:39AM by carlb.
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Adam Stanislav November 07, 2009 02:54AM reply | quote
posted by Adam Stanislav

ranfoto
I use CNC cutters to make lots of things in my business.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a CNC cutter? And can it be used to cut a very high precision aperture, such as a megapinhole (please see the picture as an example of one, or read this page for an explanation of what it is)? And is it expensive? How hard is it to use?
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Bender November 07, 2009 05:42AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

You could set up a regular CNC controlled milling machine to do this type of thing but the size of the holes in your image might be a tiny bit on the small side of what could be easily done. It's just like a giant drill press but with computer controlled movements. The size of the bits used would have to be teeny tiny though.

Peter
Re: How Do You Creative Ap? posted by Adam Stanislav November 07, 2009 08:00AM reply | quote
posted by Adam Stanislav

Yes, they are very small. Though I would be happy if I could get a megapinhole with fewer holes, like the one in this image.
1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today