Lensbaby Studio Forums

Filters

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Filters posted by susabell September 24, 2008 01:39AM reply | quote
posted by susabell

I would love to hear which filters people like best.

Is there a good IR filter that would work with the 3G?

And is it difficult to use a CPL? I would think having to rotate the filter would throw off the focus on the 3G.

Re: Filters posted by ranfoto September 24, 2008 04:29AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Susan......most IR filters won't work too well with Bending, so those interested in IR Bending convert their first digital bodies over to IR or buy a body that has been converted .

As to rotating filters like all things Bent, you have to just go do it and make it work for you......once you get the hang of it.....it gets easier .

The best part of capturing with a Bender is it's all about perfecting the technique to create your visions......mastering the tools is fun !
Re: Filters posted by susabell September 24, 2008 09:19PM reply | quote
posted by susabell

Ok so I will definitely get the CPL. Too bad about the IR filter not working. Guess if I want IR I'll have to spend some money and get my old XT converted :-)
Re: Filters posted by MattW September 25, 2008 09:34PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

I've had problems with taking my cpl off the 3G - difficult to grip the lower section of the filter, even with the focus mechanism moved all the way out.

I'm also thinking that I will want to use either cpl or uv filter on the pinhole/zone plate version - I don't fancy having my sensor open with just the zone plate.

Matthew
Re: Filters posted by BearWoodsDavid September 25, 2008 10:09PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

That is an interesting point Matt about the zone plate, especially with the small opening and the sensor being charged at that time, dust could be a big factor.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Filters posted by David Pitcher September 26, 2008 01:55AM reply | quote
posted by David Pitcher

I would say that my favorite filters so far would be a 6 and 10 Stop ND filters for doing long exposure work.

Re: Filters posted by MattW September 26, 2008 04:15AM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Nice shots David - a wooden pier?

Matthew
Re: Filters posted by RichB September 26, 2008 04:22AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Susan,

I love to work with ND filters using the LBO wide open in bright sunlight. That way I can take shots with longer exposures, rather than have my camera top out at the fastest allowed 1/4000 sec, and I can still have the LBO look to the image. Example:

[lensbaby.com]

Rich
Re: Filters posted by BearWoodsDavid September 26, 2008 10:13AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Very nice Rich. I am really looking forward to getting up to the mountains for the fall colors and the streams using the ND filters and a polarizer on the end. How are the colors up your way?
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Filters posted by susabell September 26, 2008 11:30AM reply | quote
posted by susabell

David those photos are fantastic. They are very zen feeling.

Nice image Rich! Never would have guess that was taken in bright light.

Darn! Now I have to add ND filters to my already long want-to-buy list :-)

Seriously though, thank you all for your help on filters.

Susan
Re: Filters posted by Fugazi October 01, 2008 07:29PM reply | quote
posted by Fugazi

Hi, I was already wondering if I could use my ND -filters (67mm) with my 3G. So in the FAQ they advice to "buy two 37mm spacers for the front of the Lensbaby 3G and then screw your step up ring to the front of the spacers."

So, I need 2 37mm spacers and then a step up ring 37mm --> 67mm. Does this exist or do I need to do this with several step up rings ? What will be the result ? Will I see these rings on the photo (because there will be a 'pile' of rings on the 3G) ?
Any ideas or experience ?

Thanks, Marc.
Re: Filters posted by Jack Howard October 02, 2008 07:54AM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

MattW: there's nothing to worry about. The Zone plate is a printed fresnel lens, and the pinhole is a tiny aperture hole also backed by substrate of some sort. The sensor is never exposed to an errant dust particle.

And changing optics is just like changing a whole lens--not too much to worry about there ;)

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: Filters posted by MattW October 03, 2008 06:46PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

MattW: there's nothing to worry about. The Zone plate is a printed fresnel lens, and the pinhole is a tiny aperture hole also backed by substrate of some sort. The sensor is never exposed to an errant dust particle.

Thanks for that, very comforting! In retrospect, it's obvious they wouldn't design something that could cause a problem.

Matthew
Re: Filters posted by Mike Bokeh October 12, 2008 07:30AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

The only filter I've used with my Lensbaby 3G is a 37mm Tiffen Soft F/X 3. It's subtle, yet noticeable.

Photos 1 and 3 are unfltered, photos 2 and 4 were taken with the Soft F/X 3.

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.
Re: Filters posted by ranfoto October 13, 2008 07:49AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Marc: The more you space out any attachment in front of your Lensbaby, the more likely you are to get an edge showing in your view.

It less expensive to buy 37mm filters for your LB, then to try and buy step rings to fit larger OEM sized filters and attachments . Also the more weight you hang out there the worse it gets for breakage .

I would only go the step ring way if you already own lots of different filters in (say) 67mm and plan on using them to Bend images with .

Craig choose the 37mm thread mount because there's lots of inexpensive modifiers in this camcorder size to choose from.

I don't seem to have any problem getting the 37mm attachments screwed on my 3G Babe without extra spacers, but it does help if you have big fingers that get in the way or if fussing with stuff is not worth the hassle .

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today