Latest Post

6 hours ago by Terri

Re: November walk

view post

Macro settings?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Macro settings? posted by Murviper June 07, 2014 06:19AM reply | quote
posted by Murviper
Nikon V1 with a Composer Pro, Double Glass optic & macro converters with 5.6 aperture in the double glass optic.

Set to Manual but not sure of the ISO or speed
Re: Macro settings? posted by CatGargoyle June 07, 2014 07:29PM reply | quote
posted by CatGargoyle

Murviper,

ISO & shutter speed depend on each other. Put simply, if you are hand holding you want a shutter speed of about 1/125th of a second.

In the old film days the rule of thumb was bright sunny day = ISO 100, cloudy/dark = ISO 400.

You may want to start out in aperture priority mode & let your camera do the rest until you get the feel of the lensbaby. Set your ISO to about 200 & happy shooting.

If you take a look at my portfolio, you'll see that I shoot alot of macro. I often set the ISO for the light & go into aperture priority.

Good Luck
Cat
Re: Macro settings? posted by Murviper June 08, 2014 09:20PM reply | quote
posted by Murviper
With the set up I have the camera will not take a picture in aperture priority mode, so I am forced to use manual.

Settings I used were Sweet 35 @ F2.6, ISO 100 & 1/6 of a sec
Re: Macro settings? posted by CatGargoyle June 09, 2014 08:33PM reply | quote
posted by CatGargoyle

Murviper,

Images would be helpful to aid you. With your setting above, unless you have a really steady hand, 1/6th of a second is a long time. If you are having a problem with camera motion/blur, increase your ISO to 200 or more to get shutter speed of about 1/125th of a second.

Cat
Re: Macro settings? posted by Murviper June 11, 2014 06:13AM reply | quote
posted by Murviper
When I increase to 1/125 of a second it is completely black. I have to put on a flash to get any light

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 06:14AM by Murviper.
Re: Macro settings? posted by CatGargoyle June 11, 2014 07:18PM reply | quote
posted by CatGargoyle

Did you increase ISO? Was it daylight? What else should we know about the image? You need to provide more information. In bright daylight, your image should not be black, maybe dark, but not black. Posting an image would be very helpful.
Re: Macro settings? posted by PBlais June 24, 2014 03:56AM reply | quote
posted by PBlais
With the Nikon cameras that won't shoot Lensbaby aperture priority mode (any other brand too!) you also don't get a light meter either. That means you do it ALL 100% manual! Not to worry! In the olden days they did it all the time.

If you can access the Histogram after the shot you can see how the shot is too dark or too light as it blows out either end. More important you can slide the exposure a little bit one way or the other to get what you really want by the ISO or the shutter speed or depending on the Lensbaby optic add more light by lowering the aperture number.

If you set it to manual and then set the shutter speed to something you can hand hold that leaves the ISO to adjust or the aperture. One thing that isn't expensive is go on ebay and buy an old school analog light meter (the ones with the needle). Even from the 1960's these are quite accurate. Under $25 is fine better ones up to $40. Great digital ones $750. Got the idea? Setting the iso on the meter it will give you all the shutter / aperture settings that work by pointing and pushing a button. It's what old guys did. It's not that hard. They used film and didn't know what they got. You'll know right after you shoot.

If you use that you can take a few test shots and in the same light you are pretty much good to go and just deal with focus. You can even learn that it's a bit more or less light and adjust without anything. Seeing the current light in f stops is something that takes a long time to learn.

I used to do this with my Nikon D5200. The Nikon D3000 and D5000 cameras all share this issue too. D7000 and FX cameras shoot Lensbaby aperture priority and the cameras light meter does it all as well as auto iso if you want it.

Don't be intimidated. The V1 shoots well with great lenses. You can shoot Lensbaby as well as anyone! So go make another baby!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today