Latest Post

19 hours ago by strelar

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Snowflakes

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Snowflakes posted by kdecoensel December 19, 2013 05:05AM reply | quote
posted by kdecoensel
I saw some cool pictures from a guy who took pictures of snowflakes. Is there a way of doing this with a copmposer pro ?
Re: Snowflakes posted by sr patife December 19, 2013 08:12AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

with what optic.can you show which photo you are talking about?to see if its achievable

Nuno Caldeira
Lensbaby Lovers
leavesfromthepresentpast
Re: Snowflakes posted by pszaban December 30, 2013 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by pszaban
Funny you should mention this. I'm considering making photos of single snowflakes. I shoot with a Canon DSLR and here's what I've been thinking about:

Snowflakes are small: I could spend $1000+ for a Canon MPE65 1x-5x magnification lens plus $800 for a macro light setup. Santa wasn't that generous to me, so, it's off to plan B: I ordered an inexpensive Fotodiox macro bellows for EOS Cameras from amazon. A Sweet35 with a 150mm bellows should theoretically be able to attain over 4x magnification.

Snowflakes melt: I was thinking about putting a piece of glass out in my driveway for a few minutes during the next weekend snow storm so it gets cold and some flakes land on it. I then could bring the snow covered glass into my un-heated shed where there is no wind and place the glass on a piece of blue paper to get a blue background. I'm hoping to shine a cool LED light source on the snowflakes. An incandescent bulb might melt the snowflakes. I was also considering shining the LED through the glass from underneath, or putting the snowflake on a frozen flower petal to make the background more interesting.

Depth of field is going to be small: Canon EOS lenses don't have aperture rings and normally rest at a wide open aperture. I was considering using Sweet35 optic because I could use f/2.5 with the viewfinder to compose and focus, then move to f/22 to shoot. It is possible to trick Canon lenses to rest at other apertures, but it's not pleasant.

Composition will be difficult: Getting a single snowflake into the field of view might be tricky, but I'm hoping that the tilt/swing afforded by the combination of Sweet35 and manual focus will make it easier.

Will it work? I never did this before, so I have no idea. I'll post a pic if it works. I do have some backup plans like using a lens reversal ring with an old lens that has an aperture ring.

Good Luck! If you're successful, please post a pic and let us know how you did it.
Re: Snowflakes posted by Lorna Taylor December 30, 2013 06:41AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

I have done a few snowflakes with the composer,macro kit and a set of extension tubes,so it can be done.

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today