11 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Fisheye Star Trails

view post

Overexposure Help

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Overexposure Help posted by kernact01 May 04, 2012 08:55AM reply | quote
posted by kernact01
HI All!

Today was my first experience with the LensBaby. I have a Canon XS and was using the Double Glass Optic with both of the Macro lenses. The end result was that the photos were overexposed. Can this be fixed by using a regular optic, or adding an aperture disk? Both? Once I took off the Macro lenses and just shot with the double glass optic the images were fine. Is it possible the double glass optic in combination with the macro caused this? Thanks in advance.

-Confused LensBaby
Re: Overexposure Help posted by Joe Nation May 05, 2012 10:43PM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

I'm not familiar with Canons and how they work with LBs (i.e. light meter). Do you have any other manual lenses to compare with the LB? Are any of your other lenses over/unbderexposed?

What mode were you shooting in? If it was an auto mode (Av, Tv etc), try adding some exposure compensation. I routinely add 1 to 1 1/3 stops on my Pentax as it tends to underexpose with my Composer. If you're in manual mode you just need to increase the shutter speed or drop the ISO a stop or two.
Re: Overexposure Help posted by Outback May 06, 2012 12:19AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I took a look at the photos you had in your gallery. I agree with Joe in his post above. Exposure compensation is your friend here. I had the same issue when I first started.

Leave your Canon in AV mode and drop the exposure comp one full stop for starters then adjust by 1/3 stop increments to obtain the desired results. Use your Live View and Histograms for better results. Review your work in camera until you have the results you want. Also, when shooting macro, a tripod will really help you.

There is an initial learning curve with these lenses but the results are well worth it! When you add smaller apertures your Sweet Spot will grow accordingly but the viewfinder will darken and for me this presents a challenge focusing when I am above f8. I generally shoot at f4 or f5.6 for the results I personally like.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss this further. I began with an XS.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 03:45AM by Outback.
Re: Overexposure Help posted by kernact01 May 06, 2012 07:55AM reply | quote
posted by kernact01
Thank you Joe and Outback both! I have increased the shutter speed to start and it already made such a difference! I will also add in aperture discs, work on my exposure comp and add in a tripod as was suggested. This is why I already love LensBaby, I got so used to the auto mode on my XS. LensBaby is giving me the opportunity to get "to know" my camera more in-depth and it's making me realize how many more options it has in manual mode! I completely forgot about exposure comp.

LensBaby, bringing person and camera closer together with each shot. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 07:56AM by kernact01.
Re: Overexposure Help posted by Victoria Bell May 27, 2012 06:54AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Your metering can certainly be inaccurate when bending. As you said, working with a lensbaby can force one to be a more methodical photographer. You'll quickly develop a feel for it.

My Flickr Photostream

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today