Latest Post

6 hours ago by ebby62

Re: sweet 50

view post

Difference in optics

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Difference in optics posted by Marcum February 22, 2012 11:54AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

I have been working with the Edge 80, the Sweet 35, and the Double Glass optic lately, and except for the Edge 80, which does its blur differently when tilted, I find that the Sweet 35 is sharper at larger opening F-stops than the double glass. It is my experience that the sweet 35 at F2.5 is much sharper and larger in the sweet spot than the D/G at F2.8.

Obviously the S/G optic and the plastic optic need a much higher F-stop to give a sharper sweet spot than the D/G optic does at a F-2.8.

Am I doing something wrong to get these results? I have checked my viewfinder diopter regularly and this does not appear to be a factor. Since I must shoot in Manual Mode I focus carefully where the sweet spot is placed, I have even used the Scout in order to keep the sweet spot centered eliminating the variables the composer pro may cause.

I am not complaining about the results since I can choose the optic for the shot as needed knowing that there are differences. I just was concerned I was seeing what others have noticed between these optics.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....
Re: Difference in optics posted by celentt February 28, 2012 03:58PM reply | quote
posted by celentt
It haven't tried the double glass myself but I would expect the Sweet 35 to be sharper than the double glass, only because the double glass is the sharpest of the older style optics (Single glass, plastic etc) whereas the sweet 35 is closer to the qualities of a conventional lens
Re: Difference in optics posted by Marcum February 29, 2012 07:16AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

celentt
It haven't tried the double glass myself but I would expect the Sweet 35 to be sharper than the double glass, only because the double glass is the sharpest of the older style optics (Single glass, plastic etc) whereas the sweet 35 closer to the qualities of a conventional lens
I agree from my experience with both optics.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....
Re: Difference in optics posted by SavvyGal May 04, 2012 12:15PM reply | quote
posted by SavvyGal
I'm new to Lensbaby and just got my Composer Pro with the Sweet 35. Even @2.8 I seem to have a larger sweet spot than most of the LB photos I see and what is blurred is still quite identifiable, so yes, I agree. Can anyone give me some tips on how to isolate an object and have everything else around it blurred? I have the macro converters, but have not tried them yet. Also have the Lensbaby book by Corey and have watched everything I can find on LB home site and youTube.
Re: Difference in optics posted by MickMcD May 11, 2012 07:41AM reply | quote
posted by MickMcD
SavvyGal, many of the images you see that show off the Lensbaby's abilities are shot on full-frame cameras. If you use a DX or cropped format camera (i.e. Canon Rebel, Nikon D80, and similar) then you're cropping in closer to the sweet spot. Look at any of those typical Lensbaby images, then crop. The blurred area is going to be a much smaller part of the image. So if you're not using one of the higher-end cameras, that's what you'll get.

Mick
Re: Difference in optics posted by SavvyGal May 11, 2012 07:53AM reply | quote
posted by SavvyGal
Thanks for your explanation, Mick --- not good news though, since I indeed have a cropped frame Nikon camera. :-). Will probably be shooting everything at f/2.5, but don't know if that will still give what I want.p
Re: Difference in optics posted by Coco June 06, 2012 09:03PM reply | quote
posted by Coco

SavvyGal, i've the same lenses as you plus I bought the double glass optic. I find Im having a nicer blur with with the double glass than with the sweet 35. I also have dx camera... you might want to try a different set of optics?
The double glass is very similar to the sweet 35 though, so take that as a warning but for the price i don't think you shouldn't buy it.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today