Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

11 hours ago by beyond_Life

Dragons Blood

view post

Best Wide Angle for Pany & Tilt Transform?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Best Wide Angle for Pany & Tilt Transform? posted by santaferich February 01, 2012 12:12AM reply | quote
posted by santaferich

Greetings Folks,

I want to get a wide-angle (Nikon, I imagine) lens to use with the Tilt Transformer on my Pany GH2 for landscapes.( For under $400, if new. And legacy lense's are fine too.)

On the Pany I'd like it to translate to a 28mm equivalent (or wider) image.

To complicate matters, I'm confused by the equivalent translations for different digi-lenses and 35mm lenses, and series like Nikon's DX.

I'd appreciate whatever suggestions you may have.

Richard
Re: Best Wide Angle for Pany & Tilt Transform? posted by Joe Nation February 03, 2012 04:10AM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

Do you mean you'd like it to be like a 28mm on your Panasonic, or a 28mm on a 35mm film camera?

If the former, buy a 28mm lens. The focal length of a lens doesn't change, it's 28mm whatever sensor size you use it with. The angle of view changes, but on a given sensor size any lens with the same focal length will give the same image (no matter the age or manufacturer).

If the latter, you'll need something in the region of 14mm. The crop factor of a Micro 4/3rds sensor is 2, so just half the focal length of a full-frame (35mm) lens to get the equivalent angle of view for Micro 4/3rds.

Don't worry about the DX. That's more relevant to Nikon's cameras (i.e. DX cameras use a smaller APS-C sensor, FX use a full-frame sensor); the angle of view of DX lenses doesn't cover the whole sensor on FX cameras. But since your camera has a smaller sensor than APS-C, a DX will still work (as will an FX or any other Nikon-mount lens).

Hope this helps.
Re: Best Wide Angle for Pany & Tilt Transform? posted by santaferich February 03, 2012 08:07AM reply | quote
posted by santaferich

Thanks Joe.

I'm considering the Samyang 14mm f2.7 (which may be too heavy/awkward to fiddle with on the T Transformer.) And, because even used Nikon 14mm lenses are beyond my budget (at least until I know exactly what I want), I'm now thinking about the inexpensive Nikon DX 18-55mm f3.5. See how the slice of focus works—and how a 36mm equivalent suits me.

Joe Nation

Don't worry about the DX. That's more relevant to Nikon's cameras (i.e. DX cameras use a smaller APS-C sensor, FX use a full-frame sensor); the angle of view of DX lenses doesn't cover the whole sensor on FX cameras. But since your camera has a smaller sensor than APS-C, a DX will still work (as will an FX or any other Nikon-mount lens).

Hope this helps.
Re: Best Wide Angle for Pany & Tilt Transform? posted by liuqy February 04, 2012 01:39PM reply | quote
posted by liuqy
nihao

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today