Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

22 minutes ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by rewebster September 15, 2011 04:37AM reply | quote
posted by rewebster
Hello!
So I just won a Lensbaby Tilt Transformer & Composer. I've had my eye on one for a while but a competition on a website I visit popped up and I got lucky!
I'd like a Nikon fit lens in addition to the double optic it comes with, but unfortunately I don't have any Nikon fit lenses. Has anyone any suggestions for a cheap (<$150) lens worth picking up used and sticking on the front? Preferably a prime toward the wider end.
Also, how is the focal length going to change for a Nikon + Lensbaby on an m4/3 sensor?

Many thanks!
Re: Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) September 15, 2011 09:34AM reply | quote
Hi Rewebster,
I'd recommend a 35mm prime - you can pick up a used one for around $150. You can get a 50mm cheaper (~$100 new) and have lots of fun with it. In fact, when we first built the tilt-transformer we purchased several 50mm 1.8 lenses and loaned them out to our beta testers.
IMHO the 50mm isn't as versatile as the 35mm because the M4/3rd's sensor has a 2X crop factor, meaning that your 50mm lens will be equivalent to a 100mm lens on a full frame camera.

Congratulations on winning the competition; make sure to let us know what Nikon lens you buy and don't forget to show us some pictures!
best,
Michael
Re: Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by rewebster September 17, 2011 02:48AM reply | quote
posted by rewebster
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the response. I just picked up a used 35mm f/2.8 on eBay.
I'll post some shots as soon as I have it and the lensbaby.

Cheers!
Re: Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) September 21, 2011 08:30AM reply | quote
Cool! Glad to hear you were able to find a 35mm - you're going to enjoy it.
Re: Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by TG-J (Admin) October 05, 2011 11:27AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Also Nikon 28mm f3.5 AI/AIS is another very cheap/ good nikon lens, very flare resistant you can shoot almost straight into the sun with that lens. Sure the 2.8 is even better but is about 5 x the price. The 3.5 you should be able to pick up at around $70. tony

Check this site.
[www.naturfotograf.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 12:21PM by TG-J.
Re: Suggestions for a cheap Nikon F lens for the tilt transformer? posted by picnic October 11, 2011 07:26AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Love my 35/2 that I got cheap from KEH with some blemishes but not on glass. Also bought a 24/2.8 and these two do a great job, well pleased. I'm a long time Canon person so have to get used to opposite rotation for focus LOL.

Diane

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today