Latest Post

2 hours ago by Chelle

Re: Edge 80 - Transportation

view post

sweet 35 and close ups

Newer Topic | Older Topic

sweet 35 and close ups posted by saskwatch July 05, 2011 06:35AM reply | quote
posted by saskwatch
I'm usually a lurker so maybe you won't recognise my name!

I've just got my Sweet 35 optic and after playing for a while decided to do some macros with the close up filters. They don't fit (I almost shouted that in capital letters due to my frustration). Now what do I do? Maybe yet another Lensbaby related purchse - this time a ring?

How do you take macros with your Sweet 35?
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by jazznjava July 07, 2011 04:36AM reply | quote
posted by jazznjava
My preference for all close ups is to use extension tubes. The nice thing is they work with any lens, so they're not dedicated just to the lensbaby. They simply allow you to get closer to your subject by moving the lens further away from the camera. They don't add any glass in front of or behind the lens, so the quality of the image is not impacted.

Google Extension Tube for your camera and see what comes up. You can get them super high quality or very cheap. The quality ones allow your kit lens to keep the electronics; the cheap ones don't. If you're only using for lensbaby, I'd go with the cheap ones. Hope this helps!!!
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by saskwatch July 07, 2011 12:27PM reply | quote
posted by saskwatch
Thanks so much for the hint. I'll take your advice and check out extension tubes. I sense another learning curve coming along - I've never used extension tubes before. My son has though - hmmm - I wonder if his will work on my camera? Phone call to son tomorrow!
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by Joe Nation July 07, 2011 03:44PM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

Another cheap option for macro is a reversing ring. These allow you to turn the lens around, which gives amazing magnification. You'll need a 46mm one for the Sweet 35. I have one for my Composer (via a 37/52mm step-up ring), and it's quite amazing. The one problem is there is no means of focusing with a Lensbaby optic as there is only one set of elements and you can't move it relative to the sensor/film. So you have to focus by moving the whole camera.

And a good alternative to extension tubes is a set of bellows. They're a bit more expensive, but older second hand sets can be pretty reasonable (and some even have replaceable lens mountings so you can use different lens and body fitments). They give a range of extension from a few mms to a few inches, whereas extension tubes are limited to a few discreet lengths. The major advantage of extension tubes over bellows is they are simpler and more robust, handy if you shoot out in the field. For studio work bellows are best IMHO.
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by RichB July 08, 2011 12:03AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

For about $30, I simply purchased a set of +1, +2, and +4 diopters that screw onto the front of the Sweet 35. The quality of the resultant images is excellent. (Tiffen 46mm)

Rich
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by wefi July 13, 2011 10:09PM reply | quote
posted by wefi

The sweet-35 focuses pretty close, but I did as Rich above and bought a Tiffen close-up lens set (46mm).

I find the quality of the macros to be excellent.

Anne
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by Do7anii July 21, 2011 03:34AM reply | quote
posted by Do7anii

Wefi, this image is brilliant. Love the light &focus here. Superb my friend. :)

Visit: [www.do7aniifotos.tumblr.com]
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by wefi July 22, 2011 01:23AM reply | quote
posted by wefi

Thanks a lot - glad for the feedback :)
Anne
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by Outback July 22, 2011 11:11AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I second Do7anii on this. Anne, this is a beautiful photo!!!

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: sweet 35 and close ups posted by bitesize September 14, 2011 02:58AM reply | quote
posted by bitesize
Joe Nation
The one problem is there is no means of focusing with a Lensbaby optic as there is only one set of elements and you can't move it relative to the sensor/film. So you have to focus by moving the whole camera.

Would the same problem occur if I used the step up/shade for lensbaby? I want to make a macro ring but am basing it on my 67mm and using step up filters for my other lenses. Would I still be able to use the focusing capability while using the step up/shade?

thanks

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today