Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

14 minutes ago by TG-J

Re: Fisheye Star Trails

view post

Lensbaby with NEX recommendations

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Lensbaby with NEX recommendations posted by blargh June 08, 2011 08:18AM reply | quote
posted by blargh
Hi all,

I currently use a Sony Alpha SLR with a Lensbaby Composer that I love. I'm thinking about supplementing this camera with a Sony NEX, and I'd love to be able to use a Lensbaby with it. Seems like I have two options:

1) Sony has an Alpha->NEX adapter, so that I could use my existing Alpha mount Lensbaby. The advantage here is I only need to buy a $150 adapter, and I'll have the adapter to use with my other alpha lenses.

2) I could buy the tilt transformer + composer for NEX. This will cost $350, but seems like it has some advantages: slightly faster max aperture (f1.8 vs f2), metal lens mount, and it appears the effective focal length is 40mm rather than 50mm, which is preferable for my shooting. Also, there's the thought that I could buy other Nikon lenses to use it as a tilt shift, though I don't own any at the moment. the other drawback I guess is that the tilt transformer for NEX isn't available quite yet?

Seems like size and weight of the two options would be pretty comparable, but I can't be certain from the listed specs?

Any other pros and cons that I might be missing here? Anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

Thanks...
Re: Lensbaby with NEX recommendations posted by Superthor June 08, 2011 01:41PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
I use a nex-5,with the tilt transformer.
If the money is not a major issue,its probably better to buy an extra lensbaby,but of course you might need the adapter for your other Sony alpha lenses.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: Lensbaby with NEX recommendations posted by blargh June 08, 2011 10:39PM reply | quote
posted by blargh
Thanks for the reply. How is the tilt transformer when shooting wide open, without any aperture discs? (f1.6?) Is the center reasonably sharp? Is the sweet spot so small as to be pointless? I shoot my alpha-mount Composer mostly with no aperture disc (f2), and I'm curious whether going faster would be actually useful.
Re: Lensbaby with NEX recommendations posted by Superthor June 09, 2011 06:06AM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Not sure,but i think it might be the same.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today