Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

8 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

more underwater lensbaby images

Newer Topic | Older Topic

more underwater lensbaby images posted by christianloader April 20, 2011 07:19PM reply | quote
posted by christianloader

Hi everyone,

Back again with some new underwater photos for you guys, which i hope you enjoy. (also included some old ones from my post last year. Search for my last post 'Underwater Lensbaby Images' if you like).

After all the frustration i had last November diving with the Lensbaby Composer (with no way of adjusting focus or tilt/shift while underwater), i have been diving with it again recently and have fixed a 'focus ring' from my Nikon 60mm macro lens around the Composer using rubber-bands. This allows me to adjust the focus distance underwater using my underwater housing for my Nikon D300, which has greatly improved things, however the tilt/shift must still be fixed for the whole dive.

I work as an underwater photographer and cameraman here in Sulawesi, Indonesia, which is a good opportunity to try and break new ground with a Lensbaby by taking it under the sea. I like the unusual photos i've got with it, as i've always been shooting wide-angle or macro underwater. It's still very difficult to shoot with, but at least i've solved the problem of focusing.

Moving subjects (eg. fish) are really tricky, and you have to hope and pray that sweet spot is just right, often wasting lots of photos in the process of getting maybe just one good shot. With the sweet-spot fixed, if a fish turns around suddenly then your composition for that image is ruined! Lionfish are easy as they just sit there, and Anemonefish's movements are quite predictable so it was a case of just staying in position and waiting for them to come into the sweet spot every couple of minutes. The Yellow Trumpetfish was quite a lucky shot, even though i followed it taking photos for about 15mins until it finally got in a (half)decent position.

As you will understand from shooting Lensbaby on land, the best results underwater are ideally images with some colourful foreground and background detail, to enhance the Lensbaby effect. However, in these photos here, the diver, the Seahorse, and the Butterflyfish don't follow this rule. I just like them because i got them sharp!!

Static subjects like coral are SO much easier, meaning i don't scream in frustration like a madman underwater!

Thanks,
Christian Loader

www.flickr.com/photos/christianloader
www.scubazooimages.com
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by christianloader April 20, 2011 07:24PM reply | quote

I forgot to mention equipment:

I am using a Nikon D300, Nexus D300 underwater housing, 2x Inon Z240 underwater strobes, Lensbaby Composer, Double Glass Optic, 0.42x super wide lens, and all these photos were with the f4 or f5.6 aperture disc.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Superthor April 20, 2011 07:35PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Beautiful colors,very nice pictures.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by srpatife April 20, 2011 09:55PM reply | quote
posted by
great as usual.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by kgay May 24, 2011 09:02AM reply | quote
posted by kgay
Wow those are fantastic. I love the colors and compositions. Great job.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Lorna Taylor May 24, 2011 10:45PM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Fantastic shots!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Maria Francesca May 25, 2011 05:34AM reply | quote
posted by Maria Francesca
My compliments for the shots: it is very difficult to take these pictures. I like the shots with the shoals in particular.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by shurla5 May 25, 2011 07:33AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

these are so great! I love them all but my most favorites are 6, 11, & 13
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by tdpriest May 31, 2011 12:05AM reply | quote
posted by tdpriest
I'm impressed: so impressed that I'm going to try it! I'm thinking about trying the sweet35, though, because you can have more control over the aperture before putting it into the housing. What dome are you using with the lensbaby? How well does the focus ring work if the composer is tilted?

Tim

[www.flickr.com]
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by christianloader June 05, 2011 05:34PM reply | quote

Thank you everyone!

Hi Tim,
I'm sure the sweet 35 is great, but there's no need to think about the aperture too much. All of these shots were with the f4 or f5.6 disc. The sweet spot is still workable depending on the subject, and the results are nicer with these wider apertures, really displaying the effect of the lensbaby.
I have been using the Super wide optic (21mm), and was using a 40mm extension ring + standard macro flat port on my underwater housing. You should be fine using any dome port i think.
The focus ring doesn't work very well when the composer is tilted. When tilted even slightly, there were many times underwater when the focus ring kept slipping and not connecting with the teeth of the focus dial inside the housing: really really annoying! I often just kept the lens centered, or just slightly tilted left/right. You could tilt more i think, and use some blue-tack or tape to secure a better connection of the focus ring inside the housing.
Let me know how it goes, and if you find out any things that work + don't work :-)
All the best,
Christian
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by BananaJoe June 06, 2011 12:09AM reply | quote
posted by BananaJoe
Nexus O_O
gr8 housing

i use an Eva-marine housing, thou it only gives u 30m to dive and no strobe flashing its flexible lens port is useful but still have many handicaps underwater.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 12:15AM by BananaJoe.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by emurph2 June 25, 2011 12:24AM reply | quote
posted by emurph2
WOW!!! These are spectacular. I can not even imagine how you got such great focus underwater other than you do a lot of it and are really good. I love the blending of colors and shapes with the Lensbaby and you just really got some super interesting shots Christian. I can't pick a favorite, each time I went to the next I was so impressed. I am glad you included the diver. That's a good one too!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by ossimandius July 05, 2011 03:48AM reply | quote
posted by ossimandius
I'm super impressed with all your work, love it all. Just wish I could swim let alone dive!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by joxon July 12, 2011 01:11AM reply | quote
posted by joxon

Wow talk about thinking outside the box, great images!

I love the first one, sweet-spot is great! I also enjoy the texture ones and the dragonfish(?) #3
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Da Lowrider July 19, 2011 03:24AM reply | quote
posted by Da Lowrider

Using a Nikon as the basic platform is a wonderful plan! Ha!

Your photos are stunning, captivating, quite marvelous I think. It's amazing you think as you do, and follow your desires thru implementation of method to attain photographs that fit the visions in your mind's eye. Hooray for you, well done! Innovative thinkers have always paved the way for new equipment and broadened horizons for the rest of us.

Thanks!

"Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?
____Groucho Marx
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by christianloader August 01, 2011 08:17AM reply | quote

thanks for all the comments! it means a lot to me :-)
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Dayun August 16, 2011 03:25PM reply | quote
posted by Dayun
Wow, nice captured!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by jffoto August 16, 2011 04:41PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
WOW - great series from a fantastic world, I really like your images, well done work.

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Digitalis October 09, 2011 05:25PM reply | quote
posted by Digitalis

Wow very nice!

***Painting with light is the sweetest delight***
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by donnaolm October 10, 2011 06:24AM reply | quote
posted by donnaolm

I also say WOW! Fantastic images!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Kirsten (Admin) October 10, 2011 06:43AM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

I am so jealous! These are great. I would love to be able to do this.

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 07:49AM by Kirsten.
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by hebphoto October 10, 2011 10:30AM reply | quote
posted by hebphoto

A wonderful collection of images I can only imagine the difficulties shooting under water well done
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by waniek October 11, 2011 05:05AM reply | quote
posted by waniek

i am really, really impressed! Your work is so good! Thanks for sharing!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by rannestad October 11, 2011 05:49AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

This is so amazing and beautiful!!!!

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Craig (Admin) October 11, 2011 06:03AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Very nice.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by Benngunn October 30, 2011 10:59AM reply | quote
posted by Benngunn
Very impressive it's hard enough to take pictures under water with a dedicated camera let alone a lensbaby keep it up!
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by glojo1 October 31, 2011 04:14AM reply | quote
posted by glojo1

Stunning. Thank you for sharing these photos.

"Photography has become a passion I want to nourish."

Gloria
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by TG-J (Admin) November 05, 2011 12:16AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Christian , well done , a very difficult task well executed .tony
Re: more underwater lensbaby images posted by fliptheu November 14, 2011 02:14PM reply | quote
posted by fliptheu
Really liking the Sea Horsey!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today