Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by DMacDzigns February 20, 2011 09:29PM reply | quote
posted by DMacDzigns

What will the macro kit do that extension tubes don't? I have been using extension tubes since I got my composer and like the results but I don't want to short myself on all this lens has to offer. Thanks, DM

DMacDzigns / www.DMacDzigns.com
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Lorna Taylor February 20, 2011 10:40PM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Hi ,I use both together for most images as they get you that little bit deeper into the subject. I stack the macros and tubes sometimes or just tube or just macro it all depends on how close you want to get really.Hope that helps. If you look at some of my Gerber shots of water drops I used all three together to get that close.Cheers

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Ayaz February 23, 2011 11:45AM reply | quote
posted by Ayaz
I've used extention tubes with the composer..didnt go for the macro kit thinking it would sort of degrade image quality since its an additional piece of glass...not sure if this is true or just a figment of my imagination? :)
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Lorna Taylor February 26, 2011 11:59PM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Hi , these are images I just took , they are strait out of camera no edits. I used a 25 extension tube ,Lensbaby stacked macros ( both together) and for fun also threw in the Lensbaby telephoto lens on top of the macros and tube too show that there has been no quality loss of the image. These are all hand held too lazy to get the tripod out but you would have better control with a tripod of close up images.Hope that helps!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by DMacDzigns February 27, 2011 12:21AM reply | quote
posted by DMacDzigns

Thanks for all the comments. Love your flower shots Lorna. I may invest the Lensbaby Accessory Kit after payday, provided I have any money left after I fill up my gas tank... Ha. It will be fun to pay around with and see what I can create. Thanks again, DMc

DMacDzigns / www.DMacDzigns.com
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by BananaJoe May 31, 2011 05:01PM reply | quote
posted by BananaJoe
hi dmac

im a macro photographer and i own a set of extension tubes and a diopter named RYNOX 150.
im sorry to tell that the lensbaby diopter set is a starter kit only and is realy not so good.

my advice get your hands on a set of extension tubes and u wont b sorry.
thankfully the lensbaby even in f8 have a huge amout of light entering here because of the simple lens design so it wont b hard to use.
for a little more bost u can use the RYNOX 150, it a gr8 diopter and will get u to 3:1 closeup.

here r some example pictures.
the first and second is with a "normal" nikon 105 wich brings to show u the build quality of the RYNOX 105

the last few of the butterfly is with the smallest extension tube.

have fun.
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Superthor May 31, 2011 05:08PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Hmmm....unfortunately for me,im not sure if there exist any good extension tubes for the E-mount on my nex-5.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by BananaJoe May 31, 2011 05:24PM reply | quote
posted by BananaJoe
i have a cheap D.I.Y extension tube for u :)
just use the rubber from the toilet connector :)
handheld gives u the tight connection so no light leaks and u can cut it with a tape cutter to tight fit it into ur lensmount.

this was my first extension tube till i got my kenko set :)

the black part only :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 05:24PM by BananaJoe.
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Superthor June 01, 2011 05:49AM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Interesting idea,but i think i stay with My normal macro lens,and my A-mount to E-mount adapter....
And of course i might try the LB macro kit!

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by catspaw June 02, 2011 01:36PM reply | quote
posted by catspaw

why have I NEVER thought of using extension tubes before?? I guess I hadn't been thinking of the lensbaby as a 'normal' lens. huh! going to have fun this weekend I think :)

// Leah
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by denizen_9 September 11, 2011 02:07AM reply | quote
posted by denizen_9

just a question in general:

if u attached the macro kit to the lensbaby, how far away can u shoot the picture? from the camera to ur subject, what is the distance?

thank you!!
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by Keithnc September 12, 2011 11:34PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

denizen_9,

Here you go:

MACRO KIT SPECS

?+4 lens allows you to focus your Lensbaby from 6" to 13" (15 to 33 cm) away.
?+4 lens weighs .5oz (14.2g) and measures 1.5" X 0.25" (3.81 X .6cm).
?+10 lens allows you to focus your Lensbaby from 3" to 6" (7.6 to 15cm) away.
?+10 lens weighs .5oz (14.17g) and measures 1.5" X 0.45 (3.81cm X 1.1cm).
?Stack the +4 lens on top of the +10 lens to focus from 2" to 3" (5 to 7.6cm) away.
?Compatible with all Lensbaby optics except the Sweet 35 and Fisheye Optics
Re: Macro Kit vs Extension Tubes posted by denizen_9 September 13, 2011 08:07AM reply | quote
posted by denizen_9

thanks!!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today