Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by ebby62

fishing

view post

muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique

Newer Topic | Older Topic

muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by mooran February 14, 2011 12:40AM reply | quote
posted by mooran
Can anyone tell me what the difference between these lenses are besides the actual focusing technique?
Is there any difference in the quality of the final image?
Are blur and focus areas larger or smaller?
Does one lens produce a sharper image than the other?
I can't decide which to get and if it really is only the focusing technique - i think I would prefer the Muse lens, but I just can't decide.
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by Crabcakes February 14, 2011 07:13AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

"Can anyone tell me what the difference between these lenses are besides the actual focusing technique?"

That's pretty much the difference.

"Is there any difference in the quality of the final image?"

If by Image Quality you mean "Sharpness", "Chromatic Aberation", "Distortion" then the Image Quality with a Lensbaby is determined by the Optic (i.e. Single Glass, Double Glass, Plastic etc.) you have installed in your Composer of Muse or Controll Freak or Scout. However, Lensbabies will redefine what you mean by "Image Quality". A lot of the old rules are gone.

"Are blur and focus areas larger or smaller?"

The amount of blur and size of the focus area (or Sweet-Spot) are determined by the aperture being used. The different optics have more or less well-defined Sweet-Spots depending on the optic with variations from there depending on the aperture. Generally speaking, the smaller the aperture being used--the larger the sweet-spot and/or the sharper the area of focus.

"Does one lens produce a sharper image than the other?"

Once again, "sharpness" is a factor of the optic being used and the aperture installed.

"I can't decide which to get and if it really is only the focusing technique - i think I would prefer the Muse lens, but I just can't decide."

As to how the Composer and taste and what works for you. I own both the Muse and Composer as well as an Original Lensbaby (which has the SingleGlass optic, non-swappable). I find that I prefer the Muse for its (literal and figurative) flexibility. It is more intuitive. It is also more dependent on "muscle memory" and has a steeper learning curve. This is the style of bending that I started out on so it "works" for me. I prefer the fluidity of the Muse style over that of the Composer. However, if you plan on doing a lot of tripod/studio work and need to be able to repeat shots with little variation, the Composer and Control Freak can be "locked" into position while the Muse can not.

If spend a little time looking around the forum and looking at some of the galleries (here's one of forum members' favorites) you'll see the incredible amount of variation and creativity that can be achieved with these wonderful Babys.

Hope this helps you choose--but any way you go, you head down a new and wonder-full road.

Take care--

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 07:14AM by Crabcakes.
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by mooran February 15, 2011 06:25PM reply | quote
posted by mooran
thanks so much - that's a real help
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by chocolatemoon December 20, 2012 11:40PM reply | quote
posted by chocolatemoon
Hi,

I've fallen in love with lensbabies n can't seem to decide on which to buy.. I can only afford one now, so would you suggest me to buy Muse, composer or control freak (donno why they are not mentioning CF in the website, its available on on amazon!). Please advise.. thanks.. :)
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by sr patife December 21, 2012 05:02AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

hello chocolatemoon, it all depends on which type of photography you want to do. For example the Muse is quite easier to use for fast shots with moving "objects", but very hard to focus in macro and almost impossible for long exposures. The Lensbaby Freak has been discontinued, i believe.
Personally i started with the Muse, but in less than a month i bought the Composer (mainly because i couldnt do long exposures and do macro with it) and started building my lensbaby arsenal. Theres nothing wrong with Muse, but its different.
my personal opinion is go to the Composer (a bit more expensive, but you have a lot more control with it).
Also keep in mind that if you see yourself in the future buying other Lensbaby accessories in the future.

As i said before, it all depends what kind of photography your gonna do.

hope it helped.

also check this:
LB
COMPOSER
Great for a smooth and precise shooting style.

It utilizes a ball and socket that stays in place when you tilt your lens.
Rotate the focus ring to get that Sweet Spot in focus.
Comes with the Double Glass Optic installed and is compatible with the full Optic Swap System.
Available for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus SLR cameras.

MUSE
Great for photographers with a fast and loose shooting style.

Compress the flexible tubing to find focus, and tilt the lens to move that focus.
Press the shutter while holding the lens in place.
Great for street photography, and fun shooting on the fly.
Comes with either the Plastic or Double Glass Optic installed and is compatible with the full Optic Swap System.
Available for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus SLR cameras.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 05:50AM by sr patife.
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by cvilletom December 21, 2012 06:19AM reply | quote
posted by cvilletom
I started out with the Muse and love it but sr patife is right, long exposures are difficult to say the least. I can't decide between the Composer Pro of the Scout.
Re: muse & composer - what is the difference besides focus technique posted by sr patife December 21, 2012 07:07AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

I cant see myself with a centred sweet spot only, so i immediate excluded the Scout

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today