Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

7 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Lens Flair and Rainbows

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Lens Flair and Rainbows posted by DMacDzigns February 14, 2011 12:34AM reply | quote
posted by DMacDzigns

I'm a recent proud owner of a Lensbaby composer. I am also new to this forum so I hope I am posting this in the right place. When shooting in the general direction of the sun I get lens flair and a rainbow effect. Why do I receive this with the composer and not my other Nikon lenses and aside from not shooting in the direction of the sun is there a way to avoid this little annoyance. Thanks for you help.

DMacDzigns / www.DMacDzigns.com
Re: Lens Flair and Rainbows posted by Crabcakes February 14, 2011 06:17AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

The reason you don't see this flair/rainbow effect with your other glass is because Lensbabys are optically much more "primitive" than most other lenses, i.e. they have minimal lens coating (in the case of the Double Glass optic) or no lens coating at all(in the case of the Single Glass and Plastic optics).

The effect is more or less apparent/strong depending on the optic being used. In my experience it is strongest with the Plastic and Soft Focus optics but is there to some degree in all the LB optics.

As to how to "avoid this little annoyance", Lensbabys are not like any other lens. They "ask" one to re-think one's ideas about what makes a good image. They are (from a technical standpoint) "primitive". The flair is a quirk/wonder/strength depending on how you look at it, that can be embraced rather than avoided. However, if you must avoid it, don't point it at the sun. Many have used the flair to great effect.

Just my opinion and I hope this helps--

Take care and Happy Bending--

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 06:20AM by Crabcakes.
Re: Lens Flair and Rainbows posted by DMacDzigns February 14, 2011 06:38AM reply | quote
posted by DMacDzigns

Thanks Johnny, that answers my questions. DMc
Re: Lens Flair and Rainbows posted by Lorna Taylor February 19, 2011 06:21AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Hi I use the step up shade and polarizer to minimize these it helps ,but as Johnny said sometimes you want these especially when you are using the creative apps.

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today