Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

15 minutes ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 "Two Bees"

view post

scout didnt come with optic swap tool

Newer Topic | Older Topic

scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by georgah December 26, 2010 03:21PM reply | quote
posted by georgah
Hello
I recieved a lensbaby scout for my birthday and I was wanting to change the aperture disks for my fish eye optic, but I didnt seem to recieve the optic swap tool in the box. I know I can order an extra one from the lensbaby website but as i live in Australia it will cost over $30 to ship here which i think is steep considering i should have gotten it free with the lense. Can anyone help?
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by Crabcakes December 27, 2010 02:29AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

georgah--

Yes, you should have gotten a aperture tool for the fish-eye optic (this is different from the "optic swap tool" which comes with any new optic you might buy and is used to switch from the FE to other optics--This is what the aperture tool looks like and this is what the Optic Swap tool looks like). It may sound silly, but the aperture tool might be hiding in the box somewhere....really...it happened to me once... If not, I suggest contacting Lensbaby's Director of Customer Happiness directly:

kirsten@lensbaby.com

I'm sure that she will do all that she can for you--
In my experience, Lensbaby's customer service is excellent--

Hope this helps and Happy shooting in Oz!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 02:30AM by Crabcakes.
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by georgah December 27, 2010 03:22PM reply | quote
posted by georgah
hello and thanks for replying

I do have the apeture tool along with all the disks but I do not have the optics swap tool so I can change the apeture disks in the lense itself. So do you mean that I would have to buy another optics lense to recieve the swap tool?
Also, I double checked everything, I only had the scout, apeture tool, pouch and two booklets
Once again thanks for your help
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by hp December 27, 2010 03:42PM reply | quote
posted by hp

From the website:

HOW TO USE

....You can change your apertures by unscrewing the front element and switching the aperture disk that rests just above the bottom element.

I do not own a fisheye, but i think you do not need to take it out of the scout to change the apperture disks if i reed this correctly you have to unscrew the front part.
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by Crabcakes December 28, 2010 06:24AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

You do not need to remove the FE optic in order to change the aperture--You do NOT need a Optic Swap Tool in order to change the aperture of your FE Optic. The front element of the FE unscrews to allow you to change the aperture--there shouldn't be any aperture disk in the Optic to start with, but you will find that the disks from the Aperture tool fit snugly down inside of the optic and then you replace the front element of the optic.

If I can find the time, I'll see if I can come up with some illustrative Photos....

Take care---

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 06:25AM by Crabcakes.
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by georgah December 28, 2010 09:21AM reply | quote
posted by georgah
Okay thanks guys. I feel a little silly now but yes I unscrewed the front element, I did not know you could do that. Thanks for your help
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by cally123 January 05, 2011 11:35AM reply | quote
posted by cally123
Yes, I was also confused by the instructions. You do not need the swap tool. Instead you have to adjust the focus ring to extend the lens out. Then do not be afraid, but instead use a firm grip, maybe with a towel or a gentle jar opener to turn the lens so that you can remove it and change the aperture.
Re: scout didnt come with optic swap tool posted by brendabazan August 18, 2012 03:59PM reply | quote
posted by brendabazan
Don't feel silly,I had to read this forum because I had the same problem. Thank you guys :)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today