Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Perth Royal Show

view post

UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader

Newer Topic | Older Topic

UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by christianloader November 30, 2010 12:03AM reply | quote
posted by christianloader

Hi fellow Lensbaby users,

My name's Christian and i work for Scubazoo Images in Indonesia as an underwater cameraman and photographer.

Having used the Lensbaby on land for the last few months, i thought its time to do something different.

I have recently been testing my Lensbaby Composer underwater with Double Glass optic, 0.42x Super Wide lens, + f4 aperture disc (i stupidly left the case with the other discs back home in England).

To my knowledge, no one has tried this before, so i was keen to give it a go and hopefully start the ball rolling for other underwater photographers!

I use a Nikon D300 with a Nexus underwater housing, and 2 Inon strobes. The tilt+shift of the Lensbaby and the focusing distance had to be set before diving, and couldn't be changed at all while underwater, resulting in some unbelievably frustrating moments when after taking 10 shots of a fish none of them were in focus, or the animal was just too far away from being in focus, or the sweet-spot was set in the wrong part of the frame for that particlar subject/shot...the list goes on, and all i can say is it's incredibly difficult to use underwater!

Here are just 4 shots for the time being. More coming soon. Hope you like them.

Please leave me a message if you'd like to know more info about shooting underwater with the Composer.

Cheers,
Christian Loader

Scubazoo Images
Scubazoo Images
Scubazoo Stock Image Library
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Jack Howard November 30, 2010 11:34PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

WOW! I have always wanted to go snorkeling with a lensbaby and these shots make me want to try this even more. The seahorse, turtle and clownfish are amazing. Fantastic, inspiring images. I want to see more!

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by BARONDLA December 23, 2010 12:54PM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

What wonderful images. Have never seen underwater LB before. Makes me wish I lived near a scuba location.

Understand how tough these images were to capture. Non adjustable focus or bending has to be limiting. Well done. Would love to see more.
thanks
barondla
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Hidees13 December 27, 2010 05:15AM reply | quote
posted by Hidees13
Wow! I love these, i especially love #14, with the little fish. Really, just stunning!!
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by diver967 December 28, 2010 10:07PM reply | quote
posted by diver967
Wooooww wooww x 2..!

Belive me, I were ordered my control freak 2 day ago -it's on the way now- last two day I imagine that how should I used Lensbaby on underwater and how beatifull image that I can but off course I imagine that It should be difficult because I was used Nikonos IV before. So I know how difficult to catch an acceptable photos.. I know very well..!

When I read your mail and your pic's I said wooooow somebody also think samething.. and Bravo.. Nice Pictures..

Can I join you Pic's from Red Sea (Jeddah)? :))

I'm sure I try too much, I will took a few nice photo but these will be incredible..

Alper
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by ErwinG February 02, 2011 03:37PM reply | quote
posted by ErwinG
Those are really gorgeous images. Love the clown fish shot
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Petra February 06, 2011 03:05AM reply | quote
posted by Petra

the seahorse ist my fav, but they are all very nice and special.
congrat and best wishes from Petra
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by jad February 19, 2011 09:57AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Excellent images Christian. Saw your website and you do beautiful work. Keep using the LB and sharing. Thanks.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Touwe March 05, 2011 02:42PM reply | quote
posted by Touwe

Amazing photographs, I especially love that third one. I really look forward to seeing what else you come up with as you continue to use the LB under water.
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Do7anii March 31, 2011 10:08PM reply | quote
posted by Do7anii

The turtle &the tiny fish are the best for me. The others are great too. Keep shooting. (:

Visit: [www.do7aniifotos.tumblr.com]
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Cesler April 02, 2011 11:43AM reply | quote
posted by Cesler

LOVE the first shot! Never seen underwater with a lensbaby before. They are all stunning photos!
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by evilomar April 03, 2011 08:34PM reply | quote
posted by evilomar
Stunning pictures, great to see experimentation and exploration. The clown fish is outstanding, perfect!
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Maria Francesca April 05, 2011 05:56AM reply | quote
posted by Maria Francesca
Congratulations for your idea. I'm a former scuba diver and I really appreciate your shots. I'm waiting for new ones !
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by diver967 April 05, 2011 05:53PM reply | quote
posted by diver967
Hey Christian One more reply for you.. please respond me?

Christian I will plan to diving trip to Maldives. Please advise me, I have Canon 7d body and Ikelite housing. Should I used any wide angle port with lens baby for example I have 8mm fisheye port can I use this one or which port were you used for these photos?

My second question, which adjust you used as a pioneer of lensbaby for underwater :0) give some tricks you applied under water?

Thanking in advance for your valued guidance and information.

Best Regards
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Craig (Admin) April 05, 2011 11:37PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Wow, that's got to be a challenge focusing underwater with a Lensbaby. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Sean-Michael April 07, 2011 06:53AM reply | quote
posted by Sean-Michael
bubbles, bubbles bubbles! I love these photos. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have to basically line up within a predetermined spot when taking them because let's face it, animals and sealife just do not cooperate with what we want. But these are amazing. I shudder to think how many attempts you had to make to get these 4, but hopefully you had fun doing it. Best wishes on your future photos. Oh and if I wasn't clear...I LOVE the photo of the bubbles.
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by Superthor April 18, 2011 05:04PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Hmmm....My firat thought was,"is this really possible",then i saw the photos.
Yes,it is possible,for an experienced underwater photogapher.
I tried some snorkling pics on My summer vacation a few years back,tricky...

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by k8tography April 19, 2011 03:04PM reply | quote
posted by k8tography

Amazing set of images! Love the first one in particular. I can just imagine how frustrating it is to shoot without being able to adjust anything. Great work!
Re: UNDERWATER Lensbaby Images - by Christian Loader posted by christianloader April 20, 2011 07:34PM reply | quote
posted by christianloader

thank you all for your kind words!

I have just created a new post 'More underwater lensbaby images' so please have a look

:-)

You've got to be in it to win it

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today