Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

12 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

documentary and street

Newer Topic | Older Topic

documentary and street posted by akafridge October 31, 2010 03:28PM reply | quote
posted by akafridge
Right so i would like to try and use the lensbaby for some documentary and street ...... any ideas accept getting out there and taking photos (i am recovering from a broken foot should be a another 2 weeks or so)
Re: documentary and street posted by Crabcakes November 06, 2010 12:21PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Hey Niko--

Haven't done much street-style stuff with the LB, but here's a couple of ideas. The Composer might work better since you can pre-set the focus and then "sneak" some shots without having to put the camera to your eye (I've lucked on some pretty cool "from the hip" stuff this way). Sometimes you don't want "street" folks to know you're shooting them. The Muse would make this Really tricky. Also don't know how much use the LB optics with "sweet-spots" (i.e. Double-Glass, Single-Glass or Plastic) would be for this style of shooting since it would be REALLY hard to place the SS where you want it--though you might get some really cool shots by happenstance. However, if you are in an environment where your subjects don't mind being photographed then all this doesn't apply....

Also, with either the Muse or Composer, you have the ability to NOT point the camera directly at the subject--bending or tilting the lens so that the subject is in the sweet-spot though the camera is not directly pointed at them. You can use this aspect of the LB lenses to advantage as well.

Here's a group on flickr you might check out for some ideas:

[www.flickr.com]

Also you might check out this guy's images. He hasn't been around the forums in awhile, but you can also check out his flickr stuff. He's possibly the best that I've seen but he works in an environment (urban South Korea) where people apparently tend to ignore him and his camera (lucky devil!).

Hope this helps--

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 12:26PM by Crabcakes.
Re: documentary and street posted by akafridge November 07, 2010 06:20PM reply | quote
posted by akafridge
Shot thanks..... will have a look at the links.
I think like everything the best is to get out there and try it
Re: documentary and street posted by lightchasr November 24, 2010 09:53AM reply | quote
posted by lightchasr

I love street shooting with my Lensbaby Composer! One thing I would suggest is to check out the local happenings in your town and if there are street fairs, art festivals, county fairs....anything with lots of people milling around you will have a great place to practice street shooting.

One of my images was during an art fest and the other was night shooting on a main street in our downtown.

A couple of tricks that I use is to focus on the spot that you expect people to cross and find someone interesting and then I sometimes shoot a frame or two before they walk into the shot. The night shot was taken with the camera pointed in one direction and the lens bent toward the people. You have to be pointed at them to take the shot...right? Not with a Lensbaby!

We go on Lensbaby photowalks all of the time-night and day and I rarely take my regular lens out of the bag. I use my Composer with the Double Optic for the most of my night shooting with the f/2 aperture or no aperture at all. I also use the Single Optic and Plastic at night. I have an entire gallery of street shooting...so much to see in urban areas. You can also get wonderful people shots in reflective street windows.

Good luck with your street shooting! It will be a bit of trial and error but once you try it you will be hooked.

Roxanne

[dougplusrox.com]
www.facebook.com/dougplusrox

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today