Latest Post

4 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Soft Focus Optic

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Soft Focus Optic posted by Tanderson August 25, 2010 12:14PM reply | quote
posted by Tanderson
I have a question that I hope some of you might help me out with.

In cases where there might be a bright object in my shot, I get ghosting of the holes from my soft focus apeture in my image. What is some ways that I can stop that from occuring if there is a lit candle or some other source of light in the shot?

Thanks for any tips.
Re: Soft Focus Optic posted by Crabcakes August 27, 2010 06:00AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

First of all--sorry it took so long for someone to address this.

If there is a bright light-source (specular highlight) in the background, and you don't want that "halo of spots" look with the SF optic, all you can do is pull out the special SF aperture and replace it with a regular round Ap. I LOVE my SF optic, but personally I've never cared for that look. I almost always use mine with regular (round) apertures. Occasionally, I will use a couple of creative apertures that I have made, but usually only to add texture to the background (without the presence of specular highlights). If you use the round apertures you will still have some "ghosting" or glow to the sight sources, but they will be round.

I've always been more of a fan of subtle background effects with shaped apertures rather than the overt shapes themselves becoming apparent in the image.

There's some info in this post. Have to see if I can find some more examples for you (I've done some more work with creative apertures and the SF optic but haven't posted them).

Hope this helps you.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today