I have the...Newer Topic | Older Topic
|I have the... posted by acsphoto June 07, 2010 02:34AM||reply | quote|
I have the Lensbaby 2.0 and have had it since 2005. I see all the new LB's but not sure where my next step up is. I do a lot of live performance and people in general type photography. Thoughts?
|Re: I have the... posted by ranfoto June 07, 2010 05:12AM||reply | quote|
Hey Stevens !
Based on your people Bending snappers, I believe your next Bender would be the Composer, a set of Swap Optics, and if you haven't invested in some longer focal length conversion lenses.....that would seem to be the path for your next acquisition .
For close to the stage Bending, maybe a couple of wideangle conversion lenses would be swell in your gear bag :)
Your 2.0 Babe is still top of the line Bendin' equipment for snappin' performances though !
Could be you just need to broaden your perspectives with a few of those add-on lenses .
I got one of the soft focus Swap Optics for people pics, but I use it stopped down for lots of different Bending shots...stopped down it seems pretty sharp and has very subtle aberration on the edges compared to the 2.0 lens that has become the "Gold Standard" of the Lensbaby lineup .
I think if one doesn't have much budget to spend on gear that investing in a set of the Soft Focus multi-apertures would go great with the older 2.0 model, plus you get the extra apertures to modify if you don't need to use them for stopping down to F-22 for better depth of field images .
I also like the new LB pinch style lens cap ....in case your older model LB came with the screw-on type lens cap .
Once you start looking at all those new accessories it's hard to not keep buying kewl gear .
I also visit ebay looking for older Lensbaby models that folks want to sell because if the price is right they make wonderful parts to make your own special Benders from .
Like my 3G Bender modified with a Perspective Control Nikon lens. I removed the LB 2.0 optic first, then made an adapter to attach the Nikon . The Nikon came from ruined tilt/shift PC Nikon lens I bought off ebay .....it was a great find .
Wonder how long it will be before the new Control Freaks become obsolete*? Hee ....time to start saving those coins :))
* Obsolete....is a relative term, as some folks must have only the latest and newest gear to be happy.....me I love the old stuff to recycle into kewl Bendin' equipment .
|Re: I have the... posted by acsphoto June 24, 2010 12:04AM||reply | quote|
|Re: I have the... posted by ranfoto June 24, 2010 10:21AM||reply | quote|
Is it just easier to use/have more attachments
1. Yes... the Composer is a point and shoot Lensbaby so it's much easier.
2. Yes.....the Composer has the optic swap lenses.
3. If you've ever read my posts on how to remove your 2.0 model optics, you could use the optic swap kit in your early model LB, but the swap optics would not lock in place snuggly like in the newer model Optic Swap enabled Lensbabies.
And I don't recommend Benders try to remove the optic from the early models unless they get the proper tools to do it, as it very easy to destroy the finish with normal pliers or hand tools.
4. Investing in a Composer, Muse, or Control Freak is very worthy, you can even modify it easier ....as the optics are designed to come out with a simple twist of the optic removel tool that the Swap Optics kit comes with.
5. The LB Fisheye is new and I recommend highly the Soft Focus Optic. Stopped down it is a lovely lens, less blur then your 2.0. Opened or used with the Imagon style apertures it's an awesome portrait lens . :)
|Re: I have the... posted by acsphoto June 24, 2010 04:28PM||reply | quote|
5. but the blur is what makes it awesome!
3. I like that it doesn't lock in place, I like the challenge of the live action of let's say a concert or recently the circus. I dont think I'd like having something that locks in place as I feel like I'd miss more shots that way.
4. Not sure I would modify anything as for the past 4-5 years of owning the 2.0 I've never really felt a need to. The images vary greatly just by having the 2.0 without anything other than creative aperture disks and changing light sources.
sorry for the lack of order...it's just how my mind works hahaha
|Re: I have the... posted by ranfoto June 25, 2010 08:12AM||reply | quote|
Oooops.....I think you missed my point Amanda....:)
Did I have a point ? Probably not :O
As to using your LB 2.0 model by removing the optic, then using the new optics in it.....well, what I meant was the Swap Optics won't "Lock in Place" .....in fact they could wiggle out and hit the ground, but they will focus by just sticking them in place.
Lets return to square one, since you like your 2.0 model for shooting live action......buy the Muse with the 2.0, get the Swap Optic kit for a different look and some fun, ignore why I like the Soft Focus ....as it will work great for live action too.....just do it the Stevens Way .
If you bring two cameras to shoot with, then use your original 2.0 with a conversion lens attached to one of the bodies, you pick ....hee !
Or ......you could ask Kirsten for a special Muse deal.....the Muse with a plastic, a single lens, and a zoneplate/pinhole Swap Optic kit, with a Soft Focus instead of the 2.0 optic that is the usual High Quality optic that is packaged with the Muse .
The Muse also can be purchased with the plastic optic instead of the 2.0, but the plastic optic also comes in the Swap Kit, so you would have two plastic optics, not the best option in my mind. :(
The Composers ....all come standard with the 2.0 optic, so unless you want a more "lockable" Lensbaby ......you wouldn't see much difference from the original 2.0 model.....image wise .
I think in the end it all comes down to......do you want to play with the new swap optic lenses from Lensbaby or not .
Lots of folks have sold their early model LB's to get the latest Swappers, but the 2.0 optic is still the cream of the crop no matter what model it comes with.
The new models just let you choose and switch without the hassle of making mods, the best of Bending worlds don't you think ?
Everything changes.....even Bending and Lensbaby's :))
|Newer Topic | Older Topic|