Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

3 days ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

Pseudo Lensbaby Photoshop Technique

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Pseudo Lensbaby Photoshop Technique posted by elrobbo March 02, 2010 07:32PM reply | quote
posted by elrobbo
Hello!
Just a tip on how to create a lensbaby-like effect in Photoshop!
I recently entered the attached image into a Lensbaby comp on RedBubble (which didn't win, by the way) for which the prize was a Lensbaby Composer.
I don't have a Lensbaby, so I came up with this idea instead!

I use Photoshop CS2, however this technique should also work with earlier versions.
Step 1: First, open the image you want to use.
Step 2: Duplicate the layer (ctrl+J on PC).
Step 3: Select the copied layer (above the original) and apply a Radial Blur (under the Filter menu) as a 'zoom' and set the amount to 25% (it's up to you, really).
Step 4: Apply a mask to that layer.
Step 5: Select the gradient tool (underneath the Paint Bucket tool) from the control toolbar and make sure the gradient is a basic black to white. Also make sure that the gradient is a radial gradient (circular shape). Click on the mask layer and then drag your cursor from the centre of the area that you wish to appear clear and in focus. This might require several tries, however you should be left with a suitably blurred image as a result.

I hope this might provide a bit of fun and creativity for those who don't own a Lensbaby, or for those who do, but would like to apply the technique to photos that weren't taken with one!

Please visit my profile on RedBubble.com.
Re: Pseudo Lensbaby Photoshop Technique posted by jWebb March 03, 2010 04:01AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

elrobbo,
I think you miss the whole point of the LB. The LB allows you to see in a new, unique way. Rather than transforming what you have captured, the transforming takes place within the camera. The results are often surprising, far more creative and transformative than anything created after-the-fact. Can you approximate an LB image in PS? Perhaps. Will the resulting image transform you in the same way. I don't think so. Photoshop creates an experience for the observer. LensBaby creates an experience for the photographer.
Jack
Re: Pseudo Lensbaby Photoshop Technique posted by n8 March 13, 2010 05:05AM reply | quote
posted by n8
The same can be done with the gaussian blur, depending on what you want of course. I've done a side by side comparison of taking one shot with my lb, and the same shot with my 50mm, then shopped it quick to duplicate the effect, and I will say that provided you're doing fairly straight forwards shots with the double glass, the photoshop trick will do just fine. Throw some other optics in or have a really wide focal point, and not so much. It's still good to know that if you happen to not have your lb on the camera at the moment that you can fake it.
Re: Pseudo Lensbaby Photoshop Technique posted by ranfoto March 17, 2010 10:10AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Um'......sort of like owning a fake anything........what's the point of doing it.......

If I'm going to use Photoshop I'd rather work on my kewl Bendy images to make aRt :)

All the excitement is in doing the Bending .....not sitting at home next to my computer making some great fak-oh's !

Doh....:)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today