Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

50 minutes ago by RichB

Fisheye Star Trails

view post

i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic

Newer Topic | Older Topic

i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic posted by June DF February 26, 2010 04:24PM reply | quote
posted by June DF
Hello

optic lens purchase and

I Check the status of the lens

PLASTIC Optic lens are thin scratches is normal?

Other optic lens is clean without a scratch.

There are too many scratches in optic lens...

PLASTIC Optic lens, look closely

It seems like we thought someone already in use

PLASTIC Optic lenses

Scratch that is normal?

or Scratch that is not normal?

Thank you for reading article!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 04:33PM by June DF.
Re: i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic posted by ranfoto February 28, 2010 07:59AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

June: A new optic having scratches is not normal.

If you paid full price for a new item, then return it for a replacement or demand a discount as this optic was not cared for properly!

On the other hand a quick test with an aperture of F-8 or smaller will let you know if the optic is too scratched to be usable or desirable for your personal use .

I doubt that the scratches will effect the image much at wide open or larger apertures, but only you can be the judge of that by testing it.
Re: i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic posted by daftmanic April 23, 2010 11:59AM reply | quote
posted by daftmanic
I don't know... Here's my 2 cents... Plastic lenses aren't the most resistant to scratches. That said, and maybe other plastic lovers can attest, I use my plastic lens to get the most lo-fi image possible. Scratches enhance the look I'm looking for with plastic. It's the same reason you see people paying $100 for a Holga (a $10 camera).

If you don't want that look, you NEED glass. You'll get sharper images and they are less prone to scratches. Don't have any fear with the plastic lens, though. Exploit its imperfections and you'll be just fine. :)
Re: i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic posted by ranfoto April 24, 2010 05:59AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Gary I agree ...plus plastic is not as predictable as glass, so you get unique effects from one plastic optic to the next.

And to those cheapo $10 Holgas.....well that would be for a used up and broken camera, because they are so popular today you'd be lucky to find one under $30 USD + shipping .....most go for upwards of $50 plus for options like flash, 35mm film use, and don't forget all the accessories you must add...like filters, "roid" backs, wideangle optics, telephotos.......etc etc .

By the way if you notice my avatar, well todays, as I'm always making changes to it......I'm using a DIY Holga swap optic in my ol' Composer .....:) .....cause I love the "Holga" plastic Bent look with my ol' digi cam Nikon .

But unless you DIY, you can't Bend a normal Holga ......:))
Re: i have a Question = PLASTIC Optic posted by daftmanic April 25, 2010 06:49AM reply | quote
posted by daftmanic
I'll be honest and say that I tend to use my Muse with the plastic optic without bending to get a Holga look. It's not exactly the same. I have to play with Lightroom to get the colors right. I just need some leaking light and we're set. haha...

Anyway, I do know what you are saying about the cost of those plastic things (Holgas, Dianas and the likes). I was looking on the lomography site a few days back and almost pooed my pants. At least people are making artful work with them. That almost justifies the massive price increase over the last 10 years.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today