Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

6 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: 2E245

view post

Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter posted by Artificient February 18, 2010 07:48AM reply | quote
posted by Artificient

It's been a couple moths since I've posted anything here, I guess I've been hibernating you could say. I just got my stimulus tax return back & thought I would invest in my photography.

First:
-What is the difference between Soft Focus Optic & Soft Focus Aperture Set?
-Can I use Soft Focus Aperture with just any LB Optic swap lens or just the Soft Focus Optic?
I was think about getting these & I was wondering if I should get both or just one of the two, so please explain.

Second:
-What does the Fisheye Muse Adapter do? I don't have any LB Fisheye optic, but I have other brands & they work just fine as long as the have a 37mm thread size.
-Is the Fisheye Muse Adapter supposed to turn the muse into a Fisheye with just the adapter & no additional optic attachments?
I was thinking about getting this to, but I don't know exactly what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for your time, I hope for a quick response because I am looking forward to the purchase. I'm going to go take my camera in to have the optic cleaned & in that time my new LB stuff can be shipping. I was also going to get the control freak, but that is ALWAYS out of stock whenever I try to by one. That's basically when ever I have enough $ left over from the regular things. I also checked Ebay, Wolf/Ritz Camera,& B and H Photo & non of them had the Control Freak. Any one here feel like parting with there Control Freak? Maybe I'll settle with The Composer...

----------
www.Artificient.DeviantArt.com

6 is afraid of 7 because 7 ate 9. The police took 8 & 10 into custody under suspicion. They figured it must have been 8 or 10 because they were right next to 9 when it happened. The police told 8 & 10 how they found 9's remains half eaten in an ally...
Re: Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter posted by Crabcakes February 18, 2010 03:55PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Justin--
Can't think of a better way to spend your tax-money!
I beta-tested the Soft Focus Optic so hopefully I can help---

First:
-The SF Optic is the actual piece of glass/lens and its housing that you would put into your Composer, Muse or Control Freak. It is one of the "Swappable Optics" of the LB System. The Soft Focus Aperture Set come with the SF Optic. If you order the Optic, you will get the Aperture set as well.
-You CAN use the SF Aperture Set with any LB Optic (aside from the Fisheye). However, with any optic other than the SF, this aperture set basically amounts to a set of "Creative Apertures" and will behave the same way, i.e. you will be able to see the shape/shapes of the aperture in the out-of-focus specular highlights in the image but not generally in the In-Focus parts of the image. The SF Optic behaves a little differently. Sometimes the shape of the aperture is visible in In-Focus highlights of the image.

Second:
-In order to turn your Muse (or any LB) into a Fish-Eye, you need the Fish-Eye Optic (unless you use one of the 37mm diopters you mention). The difference is that with a 37mm threaded adapter/diopter you are ADDING a piece of glass to the LB while with the LB Fish-Eye Optic you are SWITCHING from one piece (or set of pieces) of glass to another. Most probably this would be from the Double Glass element that most LB's ship with to the Fisheye Optic.
Due to engineering/design reasons that are beyond my knowledge, the Fisheye optic was designed to be used with the Composer. The Fisheye Muse adapter allows you to use this Fabulous Optic with a Muse instead. To get the Fisheye "effect" you need the Fisheye Optic.

As to the Control Freak, I couldn't say. The LB3G was my first LB and it is basically a Control Freak with the Double Glass Optic built in (no Swappable Optics back then...). I have found that I am more into shooting on the fly and I rarely used the locking functions of the 3G prefering the spontaneity of the Muse (or in Old Skool terms the OLB/LB2.0). However, I now have the Composer and am THOROUGHLY enjoying my time with it. I would not think of it as "settling". Just my opinion.

I hope that you find this Rambling Useful!
Have enjoyed viewing your images--with whatever Lens you choose, keep it up.

Johnny Crabcakes

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 03:57PM by Crabcakes.
Re: Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter posted by Artificient February 18, 2010 10:57PM reply | quote
posted by Artificient

Thanks a lot, you were very helpful. In the mean time while I waited, I had bought myself the Composer & 3 piece Optic Kit. I'll buy the SF optic later when I'm back from work tonight. I suppose getting the LB FE optic & muse adapter would be a bit redundant & excessive for me since I already have several wide angle & tele-converters already.

Hmm random thing, I wonder if there is a way to use my LB's with an old 35mm Minolta that can do double exposures?

----------
www.Artificient.DeviantArt.com

6 is afraid of 7 because 7 ate 9. The police took 8 & 10 into custody under suspicion. They figured it must have been 8 or 10 because they were right next to 9 when it happened. The police told 8 & 10 how they found 9's remains half eaten in an ally...
Re: Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter posted by ranfoto February 24, 2010 11:24AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I wonder if there is a way to use my LB's with an old 35mm Minolta that can do double exposures?

Get an adapter if you're not using a Minolta mount Lensbaby :)

Try everything.....!
Re: Soft Focus Optic/Soft Focus Aperture Set & Fisheye Muse Adapter posted by kskinner February 26, 2010 07:37AM reply | quote
posted by kskinner

I used the SF apertures with plastic and it seemed to diffuse the light differently than just the plain f4 aperature. However, it really wasn't anything to write home about. I agree with Johnny Crabcakes that you need the optic to get best results.

Keith Skinner
Berkeley, CA
[renegadeimage.wordpress.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today