Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

15 hours ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

Newbie Here...need some help please

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Newbie Here...need some help please posted by LisaV February 17, 2010 09:33AM reply | quote
posted by LisaV
OMG~So I just got the Muse, double and single optics WOOHOO! I am soooo new at this that I hope you seasoned vets will indulge me (fingers crossed). Ok, So I put on the double optic and go to the optic comparison page to see how changing the f/stop changes the picture. I take out my Canon EOS (Rebel XS) and change my setting to AV and guess what.....my f/stop was set to f00. I could not get it to change no matter what I did. So, I changed lenses and put one of my Canon lenses on and I was able to change my f/stop...put the muse back on and it went back to 00. I managed to find my manual and I learned that an f setting of 00 is the camera's way of telling you that a lens is not attached...what?! So, I am wondering if anyone out there knows how I can change my f/stop with the muse attached or will I forever be stuck with one setting for these crazy beautiful lenses????? I think I just felt a shudder from my inner creative self...ugh. Please tell me you can help....

Thanks~ Lisa (aka Newbie)
Re: Newbie Here...need some help please posted by AdamW February 17, 2010 11:06AM reply | quote
posted by AdamW

The Lensbaby can't communicate with the camera, so the camera doesn't know what aperture the lens is set at. This is okay.--the camera will still meter correctly. You change the aperture on the lens with the aperture disks. On the camera, you can shoot in Av and the camera will set the correct shutter speed, or you can shoot in M and adjust the shutter speed and ISO yourself.
Re: Newbie Here...need some help please posted by LisaV February 17, 2010 07:03PM reply | quote
posted by LisaV
Adam,
Thanks very much for replying. I didn't want to mess around with the magnetic tool before I tried the settings on my camera. At first I had no idea where the aperature discs were, but I found them...doh! W-a-y excited to start messing around with these.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Lisa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 07:14PM by LisaV.
Re: Newbie Here...need some help please posted by slithy-toves February 27, 2010 01:18AM reply | quote
posted by slithy-toves

At first, it may seem annoying to have to adjust settings manually, but getting a Lensbaby provided an amazing opportunity for me to learn about exposure and how my camera really works! Now I've moved on to film cameras, where such experience is even more valuable.

If you need a primer on how aperture and shutter speed are related and all the other intricacies of manual, here's a fun site: [www.dryreading.com]

Also, I've found that sometimes it's hard to judge how well exposed your shots are when you're out in the field taking them, especially if bright sunlight is skewing what your LCD screen is showing. So many times I'd preview a photo and thought it looked fab, only to come home, upload it and discover it's way too dark on my computer screen! Nightmare! So I started using my camera's histogram to double-check that something was properly exposed, and if in any doubt, I'd also make minor adjustments on either side and take a few shots just in case (ie: I'd take shots at shutter speeds 100, 200 and 300; the technical term is bracketing. I think you can set some cameras to do it on its own, but my Nikon d40 is pretty basic and/or I haven't delved deeply enough into that)

Here's another handy link to explain how to use the histogram (personally, I just aim to not have too many big peaks at either end of the spectrum)
[www.nikonians.org]

Hope that helps! Enjoy your new baby! They're tons of fun!!!

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Newbie Here...need some help please posted by michelled March 13, 2010 12:36AM reply | quote
posted by michelled
I just bought my first Lensbaby and I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Rebel XSI and I'm unable to adjust the aperature in either AV or Manual mode. It's making me a little nervous that the lensbaby could somehow damage my camera's system. Is the F00 normal for this camera?
Re: Newbie Here...need some help please posted by AdamW March 14, 2010 10:17PM reply | quote
posted by AdamW

Please read my response to the original poster, above. Then, read the Lensbaby manual to see how to change the aperture.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today