Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

10 hours ago by moonske

Edge80 - Hasselt

view post

Stacking Aperture Discs

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Stacking Aperture Discs posted by carvin22 February 02, 2010 01:56AM reply | quote
posted by carvin22
Is it a good idea to stack aperture discs instead of switching them out?

For example, I want to use the f11 aperture for a shot but use the brighter f2.8 opening to compose and focus with. Can't I just drop in the f11 disc without removing the f2.8?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just got a Composer today, and plan to use it with old (nikon) bodies. So I thought I'd get things clear before I start burning film.

Thanks
Re: Stacking Aperture Discs posted by jonesyjerrid February 02, 2010 04:17AM reply | quote
posted by jonesyjerrid

Sure you can stack, but remember when you change you Fstop you also change you depth of field. So your focal point may change as well.
Re: Stacking Aperture Discs posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) February 08, 2010 05:59AM reply | quote
Stacking apertures is a useful technique for composing in low light but, like Jones said, you'll be changing your dof. Since you're stopping down (and thus increasing your depth of field) your subject will stay in focus. However, the back and foreground will get sharper and you'll lose some of the blur around the edges of your photo too.
Good luck & remember to show us what you shoot!
Re: Stacking Aperture Discs posted by carvin22 February 13, 2010 08:59PM reply | quote
posted by carvin22
Thanks for the encouraging replies. Well, I walked around town this weekend and the first few photos are back, and I'm surprised and pleased. The double glass optic is scalpel sharp, and focusing was not difficult even indoors (at maximum opening, of course)

After chasing aperture discs rolling on the sidewalk, I decided to try and streamline my lensbaby operation. I now leave two discs in the optic, typically f4 and f11. This way I can pick between extreme, moderate and subtle blur area without having to pop open the magnetic tool/ container and shuffle through all the discs. The other discs are stashed in my gear bag in case I have time (or need) to fine tune exposure and size of the focus area. When shooting at the wider apertures (in this case f4 or f2) I just hold the extra disc(s) on the pick up tool.

Keep on Lensbabying folks

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today