Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 hours ago by TG-J

Re: 63 Split Window Corvette

view post

ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by RHWeiner February 01, 2010 05:28AM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

On a 'normal' lens the ND filter will slow the transmission of light into the lens and so motion becomes quite blurred (eg. waterfalls turn to 'milk'). Given that the Lensbaby (any model) is already soft (except for the sweetspot), does the addition of an ND filter give any appreciable help?

If you have tried this, can you post an image, preferablly an image with an ND, the same without...for comparision.

Thanks

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by Lorna Taylor February 01, 2010 06:19AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

I have not tried a ND filter on my Lensbaby yet only a polarizer so far but ,Tony Sweet a Lensbaby user as well does and there are online tutorials. by him on using a ND .hope that helps.Cheers
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by BearWoodsDavid February 09, 2010 12:08PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I just saw this post and wanted to let you know I have used ND filters on several occasions with great success (in my opinion). I was trying to dig through some images to find some examples but I am on the road and don't have the portable hard drive with me. I would recommend getting the hood for the Lensbabies that will allow you to use the 52mm ND filters. It is much easier. I like it because you can shoot with no aperture disk to really increase the effect of the LB but at the same time slow the water down.

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by David Pitcher February 16, 2010 06:28AM reply | quote
posted by David Pitcher

ND filters work great when coupled with a Lensbaby. Great for long exposure work or just softening details and/or highlights even more thant what a Lensbaby can already do.

Examples Lensbaby ND filter images

Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by japi March 07, 2010 04:48PM reply | quote
posted by japi

I love these images!!!! gorgeous compositions.Did you have a long exposure? I especially like the second one, looks like floating torri gates of Japan!
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by danmack March 27, 2011 05:15AM reply | quote
posted by danmack

Kewl .... I was wondering about the same thing for my Composer .... what ND filter would be best (landscapes / urban / night ... Digital / Film ... Dan

Shooting with a Lensbaby Composer on Canon 50D and EOS 3, 10s , Rebel 2000 , Rebel T2 .
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by jad March 27, 2011 05:45AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Excellent images and the ND adds some good contrast.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: ND (Neutral Density) filter on a Lensbaby Composer...worth it? posted by evilomar April 03, 2011 06:50AM reply | quote
posted by evilomar
Have been thinking about trying this for a while and found the lack of light transmission making it hard to focus. However with a step up shade and using a variable polarized ND filter you can focus in with plenty of light then step it down to to lengthen your exposure. However the I found the exposure meter on my sony can be a bit out so its down to a lot of trial and error. Too high an ND value and you can end up with a vivid purple tint to your picture.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today