3 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Another aperture question

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Another aperture question posted by todd January 02, 2010 01:10AM reply | quote
posted by todd
Hi, everyone!

Santa just brought my Composer, and I am having a lot of fun with it!

I had a couple questions about the aperture disks:

1. What do most people use? I've pretty much only used the f4 disk so far. Have you found that decreasing the aperture increase the size of the sweet spot?

2. In the part of the aperture wand that holds the disks, there is a hole about half the diameter of the f22 disk, and has a sticker next to it with the letter "L". Is this a pinhole tool? How do you use it? What does the L stand for?

Thanks! See you soon...

Todd
Re: Another aperture question posted by Crabcakes January 03, 2010 08:49AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Hi Todd--congrats on your new Baby!

As to Aps--Most people seem to stay in the Wide-Open (f2) to f8 range (at least with the Double-Glass, Single-Glass and Plastic Optics). Many Benders are more fond of one end of the spectrum than the other. Some really LOVE the dreamier, more abstracting and shmeary qualities of the wide-open or larger aps (I'm one of them), while others prefer the greater area of focus and (relative) sharpness of the smaller aps. Play with them all and figure out what fits your style.

The Sweet-Spot changes size with the apertures--check out the Optic Comparison page for visual examples:

[www.lensbaby.com]

If you're interested in the more technical/cerebral/conceptual aspect of Bending (much of which is beyond my feeble mind), here's an interesting discussion that was had here on the forum a while ago:

[www.lensbaby.com],

As to the little hole in the aperture tool--If you're talking about the one in the bottom of the aperture storage area (mine doesn't have an "L" next to it), I think it's just a way for the air to escape when you put the cap on...and I have no idea what "L" stands for...

Hope this helps and have a great day,

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2010 08:53AM by Crabcakes.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today