Latest Post

10 hours ago by Niefol

Early effort with new toy

view post

No Flash???

Newer Topic | Older Topic

No Flash??? posted by ahcigar1 December 29, 2009 04:44AM reply | quote
posted by ahcigar1

I was wondering why my on camera flash will not work with my LB? I shoot with a Nikon D80 and it is on full manual mode and am able to get everything to work just fine, but for some reason I cannot get my flash to work at all. Any suggestions on this? Am I doing something wrong?
Re: No Flash??? posted by mvuori December 29, 2009 05:19PM reply | quote
posted by mvuori
Somewhere in your camera's menu there is a choice of the flash mode: TTL or Manual (or something like that). By default it is set to TTL, which tries to utilize lens info, which is not available with a Lensbaby or any other non-electric lens. Change the setting to Manual and everything should work ok.
Re: No Flash??? posted by ahcigar1 December 30, 2009 03:32AM reply | quote
posted by ahcigar1

Thanks for the help.
Re: No Flash??? posted by lucid March 01, 2010 06:07PM reply | quote
posted by lucid
i was having the same issue(just got my lb today),i looked briefly, i'll just have to dig through the menus until i find the manual option
hopefully there arent any issues with the trigger and studio lights arriving tommorow...
thnx for the info mvuori
Re: No Flash??? posted by ranfoto March 02, 2010 09:59AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Most of the Nikon non pro bodies won't give you a manual mode pop up flash .

Probably because they want to sell you a flash, but that's the way it is and you'll also find that the pop up will vignette as any lens other then the include OEM zoom gets in the way ...casting a shadow in your image.....Ooops !

Even a simple lenshood on the OEM lens will cast a shadow with the pop up flash.....the pop up flash is just too close to the lens to be useful.....!
Re: No Flash??? posted by Todd Giencke March 04, 2010 02:25AM reply | quote
posted by Todd Giencke
ranfoto
Most of the Nikon non pro bodies won't give you a manual mode pop up flash .

Probably because they want to sell you a flash, but that's the way it is and you'll also find that the pop up will vignette as any lens other then the include OEM zoom gets in the way ...casting a shadow in your image.....Ooops !

Even a simple lenshood on the OEM lens will cast a shadow with the pop up flash.....the pop up flash is just too close to the lens to be useful.....!

I don't know about the other Nikon bodies but my D40's (the cheapest) pop-up flash can be controlled manually from full power down to 1/32 power and syncs up to 1/500sec.

Personally I never use a pop-up flash because I dislike the look of direct flash. I highly recommend the Nikon SB400 flash that can be tilted 90deg for bounce flash. It also can be controlled manually the same way as the pop-up flash.

Tip: Use the "My menu" custom set-up to hide all of the menu items that you don't use (or controlled with the main screen) so it is easy to adjust the flash power. ie That menu page on my D40 has only image review on/off and flash control menu items. It makes it far easier to manually control the flash.

-Todd
Re: No Flash??? posted by ranfoto March 11, 2010 02:47PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Todd....you're correct and thanks for the info .

I just hadn't gone deep enough into the custom settings to realize that with the camera in manual mode, the flash could be reset from TTL mode to manual.

I was so used to just using a SB-600 with the manual lenses that I didn't figure out that the pop-up flash could be set to work in custom......even with your directions, it took some time doing alot of buttom pushing to reset the flash to Bendy mode use......great :)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today