Latest Post

15 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Fisheye Star Trails

view post

indoor photos

Newer Topic | Older Topic

indoor photos posted by lkclark December 27, 2009 01:18AM reply | quote
posted by lkclark
I am new to lensbaby & my Nikon D5000. I can take decent outdoor shots, but I can't get any indoor shots. Not sure if I need a manual flash for the camera or what I need. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
Re: indoor photos posted by pennyeden December 27, 2009 01:42AM reply | quote
posted by pennyeden

hi have you changed your white balance for indoor lighting!!
Re: indoor photos posted by lkclark December 27, 2009 02:00AM reply | quote
posted by lkclark
no. Guess I need to get the manual out for my camera. What should the white balance be set at?
Re: indoor photos posted by pennyeden December 27, 2009 02:05AM reply | quote
posted by pennyeden

depends what indoor lighting you have either tungston or florescent.. :)
Re: indoor photos posted by bcwhite December 28, 2009 04:01AM reply | quote
posted by bcwhite

You could also try a faster ISO. My D80's defalt ISO was set to 400. I bumped it up to 1600 for indoor/low-lighting situations...makes a big difference. :)
Re: indoor photos posted by mvuori December 28, 2009 04:08AM reply | quote
posted by mvuori
Funny guesses that each address a different problem, while none can have any clue as to what "can't get any indoor shots" means. Doesn't the camera fire at all? Do the images come out completely black? It is hard to think of a white balance issue that would cause one to not "get any shots"...
Re: indoor photos posted by bcwhite December 28, 2009 10:48AM reply | quote
posted by bcwhite

-mvuori-

A fair comment. I guess I was assuming it was simply an underexposure issue. I mean if he was getting something in the out of doors than he would get at least some kind of exposure indoors...however underexposed it might have been. I suppose he could have been shooting in a closet or something......
Re: indoor photos posted by blargh January 12, 2010 05:07AM reply | quote
posted by blargh
You may also want to try larger apertures: use f2.8 or f2.
Re: indoor photos posted by eddie January 12, 2010 07:16AM reply | quote
posted by eddie
you should try to adjust your sutter speed. around 10 or so should work.
Re: indoor photos posted by lucid March 01, 2010 06:03PM reply | quote
posted by lucid
if you are shooting still life, the slower you set your shutter(use a tripod), the more light it will take in over time... you can also use this technique to get some great special effects, with blur or light play.
Re: indoor photos posted by ranfoto March 02, 2010 09:42AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Using an external flash instead of the pop up flash should help. Doesn't have to be a manual flash either, but the TTL won't work because LB's don't give any feedback. Just use the flash in it's auto mode, most have built in circuits to do this .

For anyone doing portrait work, use a bracket to get the flash high over the lens, you'll need one of those special hot shoe cords to attach it to, but that's the price you have to pay to get decent lighting.

Also try bouncing the light so it's not so flat or just use the on camera flash as fill light with another flash or off camera source as the main light .

Just remember great images are more about the lighting then just getting correct exposure .

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today