Latest Post

9 minutes ago by PBlais

Re: New Guy Checking In

view post

21mm or 30mm?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

21mm or 30mm? posted by RWConnell December 20, 2009 11:13AM reply | quote
posted by RWConnell
Which is a better made lens? Anyone have both? There aren't really any specs on the 30mm. I'd love to know about the 30mm vignetting and its macro focus. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Re: 21mm or 30mm? posted by n8 March 13, 2010 05:09AM reply | quote
posted by n8
I've got the 30mm. While I have just a little experience with it, it's certainly nice for widening things up a bit, and the vignetting only gets bad when you start swiveling around. The macro piece has you getting REAL close to use it, like a few inches away. I've been considering the macro kit just so I have a bit more range.
Re: 21mm or 30mm? posted by Sammael99 March 15, 2010 08:45AM reply | quote
posted by Sammael99

I've got the 30mm too. I haven't used it a ton but vignetting and blur are not a hindrance IMO. I read some pretty terrible reviews of the 21mm which is why I stayed clear of it so far...
Re: 21mm or 30mm? posted by mvuori March 15, 2010 07:20PM reply | quote
posted by mvuori
RWConnell
Which is a better made lens?
There are no such Lensbabys. If you refer to the wide angle accessiories, please do so by their proper names so people can have a clue of what you are talking about.
Re: 21mm or 30mm? posted by ranfoto March 17, 2010 09:05AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Terrible Reviews ?

First consider the source of the reviewer, are they an innovative user of an aRtist tool or another photographic "WRITER" confusing Bending with the photgraphic norm ?

Bending and using Lensbaby gear is not for everyone, but if Craig puts it into production, believe me it's going to be fun and useful to a great many users .

I make lots of Bender gear for myself, but in all my years of using Lensbabys and the accessories......there has never been a dud in the line .

The biggest problem has been......can they keep enough in stock for all that want one !

By the way I have no personal or financial interest in the Lensbaby Company......but once they did send me a "T" shirt I won, but I had to remind them :)) to send it !
Re: 21mm or 30mm? posted by kylep March 24, 2010 05:43AM reply | quote
posted by kylep
Maybe you have gotten this figured out already but which Lensbaby are you going to be using with the wide angle aux? With the Muse, and Original Lensbaby you can pull the bellow so you can focus closer to the object than the regular 2ft focal length. With the composer and the other ones you are limited in movement away from your film plane or sensor so you cant do things like focus on objects closer than 2 ft. With the macro 30mm aux the macro works ok with the composer but again you are limited to what the focus ring will allow. I think its easier to use that way but you are limited. The 30mm has problems when you move the sweet spot to the extreme edges. You have to kind of keep it more centered but you can still move it around a bit.

I guess i'd have to say that they both have their places in the LB world. If you want macro, get the actual macro aux glass. If you want something really wide, get the fisheye. I have a 3/4 sensor and dont get the full frame fisheye look so its more like a 12mm wide angle which works better for me than the 30mm, and I dont own or have never used the 21mm. I dont see much point in the in between, im sure others will disagree and it will be a must to get everything lensbaby sells.

Hope this kinda helps.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today