Latest Post

1 day ago by rusteer

Re: side light to flare

view post

fisheye lens cap

Newer Topic | Older Topic

fisheye lens cap posted by jad October 27, 2009 11:58PM reply | quote
posted by jad

I am loving the fisheye but I do have a question about a lens cap. The regular cap doesn't work and I would like to keep my "baby" safe. Any ideas?

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by ranfoto November 08, 2009 04:33AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Any ideas?

Well.....sure......:)

1. If you have a local camera store you could see if they have some after market lenscaps that might fit, but that may be slim or none.

2. I have a lathe so I cut mine custom to fit......maybe you have one or a friend or at work ?

3. It's a funky solution, but I've found that many plastic lids on certain jars make for nice caps. Usually I have to cut out the existing threads for a better fit.

4. Look for plastic lids at home stores or at the market.....you never know what might fit and look kewl too .

5. Doh ! Your new fisheye didn't come with a nice cap ?
"Bug" Craig until he comes up with one.....for shame on Lensbaby .......err' just an oversight I'm sure !

6. For now use a freezer bag to keep it fairly dust free, dang poor solution, but hey you don't need your investment in Bending scratched up......I would go for the "Bug" Craig answer, but you may be in for a wait.....oooops !
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) November 09, 2009 02:21AM reply | quote
We're certainly working on it...
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by ranfoto November 09, 2009 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Big Mike.....I hope you're not just saying that to tease us.

Hee ! I figured Lensbaby Inc. would have invested in their own plastic injection molder by now......hire Americans !

Do you have your own CNC shop up and going yet ?

How about a virtual tour of the facilities ....a behind the scenes look at what's happening......exciting stuff :))
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Craig (Admin) November 09, 2009 05:03AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

We are working on a solution for the lens cap. Thanks Randy for including the option in your brainstorming of this being an oversight. Will keep you posted on the solution.

Once we find one we'll be sure and choose the best partner for the job. We have manufacturing partners all over the world, many in the Portland area, that are doing great work for us.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by jad November 15, 2009 09:55PM reply | quote
posted by jad

Thanks Craig and gang. I know when the lens cap gets here it will be a good one. Until then I'll keep it covered. Thanks for the help.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by SDFoto December 28, 2009 06:07AM reply | quote
posted by SDFoto
I too am concerned about the fisheye lens not having a cap for protection. There is no way to put an inner cap on the fisheye lens as the lens does not have an area to clip one onto -and- would likely cause a vignette issue if it did.

SOLUTIONS - here are two possibilities: (1) with regard to the Lensbaby Composer, use a 65 mm slip-on (push-on) cap that would fit and slip over the outside portion; -and/or- (2) use a 43 mm slip-on (push-on) cap that would fit and slide over the outside portion of the fisheye lens.

These caps are hard-to-find, but can be found. I purchased a 65 mm slip-on cap on ebay. As for designing slip-on (push-on) caps that would fit both the Lensbaby Composer and fisheye lens, that would have to be created by Lensbaby and to also include their logo.

IF Lensbaby creates a cap for either the fisheye lens and/or the Composer it would be greatly appreciated to receive one of each. This would easily resolve this (these) issue(s).
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by zilladon January 11, 2010 11:36PM reply | quote
posted by zilladon

I just received the fisheye optic for my Composer, and as most know, it doesn't come with a lens cap, forcing a temporary fix until Lensbaby makes one - I've found the perfect solution: the lids that Petsmart (or any pet supply store) sell to cover opened cans of cat food - the small size.
It is a perfect fit! They come in different colors too, so you can be stylish as well! : P

Hope this helps,
Patti (zilladon2000)
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by jWebb January 21, 2010 08:30AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Another option: Slip a piece of Seran Wrap over the front and fasten it with a small rubber band. Almost no cost and it works. Aluminum foil works too.
Jack
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) January 25, 2010 09:41AM reply | quote
Thanks for posting your petsmart tip, Patti!

ps: I like your flickr photostream
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by zilladon February 01, 2010 03:12AM reply | quote
posted by zilladon

Thanks very much Michael! : )
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Emma_THS February 20, 2010 08:05AM reply | quote
posted by Emma_THS

Newbie here. =)

How's the project of fisheye cap coming (officially)?

I was finding the same annoyance, so today I followed Patti's advice, went out and bought one of those small pet food lids. It fits, but (at least the one I got--for 50-cents mind you) is too shallow to stay snug. Consequently it doesn't stay on. I've temporarily solved it by using a scrap of cut-up t-shirt over the lid and rubber-banding it on. Works fine, but it sure would be nice to have a "fancy-schmancy" LB fisheye cap. ;)
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Artificient February 21, 2010 08:56AM reply | quote
posted by Artificient

jWebb
Another option: Slip a piece of Seran Wrap over the front and fasten it with a small rubber band. Almost no cost and it works. Aluminum foil works too.
Jack
That's exactly what I was thinking, Only put a rubber band around it.

Or, wrap it in a piece of cloth & tie a string around it, I have a lens I do that with.

I know saw this somewhere I think. There are these little nylon/cloth lens caps with an elastic band to keep it on the yip of the camera.

Finally, you could just use a sock. A clean one of course, you don't want to be smelling feet when ever you take a photo. A sock you can find anywhere & it slips on easilly.

Oh & Ran, I am so jealous of you always talking about lathes for your modifications. I WANT ONE TOO!

----------
www.Artificient.DeviantArt.com

6 is afraid of 7 because 7 ate 9. The police took 8 & 10 into custody under suspicion. They figured it must have been 8 or 10 because they were right next to 9 when it happened. The police told 8 & 10 how they found 9's remains half eaten in an ally...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 08:58AM by Artificient.
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by ranfoto February 24, 2010 11:11AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

aRtie: Here's a pic of one of the Mini lathes I love to fabricate Bendy parts on.....you'll probably start with one of these, then get a milling machine, then decide what you really need is a CNC machining center......!

I blame it all on Craig and his buying the wide angle conversion lens in New York to snap skyscapers and discovering aberration......ever since the intro of the first LensBender I was hooked on Bending .....

Then fabbing optics to attach to my Benders .....most folks seem content to let Craig make their attachments, but I feel like half the fun is making stuff ...but that's just me :)
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by picnic February 25, 2010 12:45AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Artificient

Finally, you could just use a sock. A clean one of course, you don't want to be smelling feet when ever you take a photo. A sock you can find anywhere & it slips on easilly.

I finally did this--snipped off the end of the sock and it fits fine, but UGLY LOL. I'm going to look for another solution, but since the sock is only on the lens when its in a bag--probably can live with it--and its surely easy to take off and put on.

Diane B
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by djking March 04, 2010 05:18AM reply | quote
posted by djking
Just wanted to vote for a fisheye lens cap too.
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Yossarian March 22, 2010 08:16PM reply | quote
posted by Yossarian
Not really wanting to sound desperate, but:

How long does it take for Lensbaby to develop a Lens Cap for the Fisheye? 5 month in the Pipeline by now, any public beta releases available?
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) March 26, 2010 07:56AM reply | quote
Thanks to your suggestions we now have Fisheye lens caps ready to ship. They're available for free (one per fisheye purchase). Here's the order form

ps: I know you've all been waiting a long time; thank you for your patience & comments!
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by MattW March 26, 2010 09:37PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Thanks for the update Michael, got mine ordered.

Matthew
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by lukejmw April 20, 2010 06:02PM reply | quote
posted by lukejmw
Thanks very much Michael, received mine yesterday.
It works a treat.
Quite how it got to the UK so quickly when no flights have have come into the country for the best part of a week is a mystery to me!
Top marks all round.
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Yossarian April 25, 2010 01:26PM reply | quote
posted by Yossarian
Thanks, just placed my order!
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Keithnc May 06, 2010 12:36AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Hmm, clicked on the link for order form (above) and just takes me to the home page. I did not see it under accessories link.
Re: fisheye lens cap posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) May 10, 2010 02:21AM reply | quote
Hi Keith, you (and anyone else in need of a fisheye lens cap!) can now contact us at customerhappiness@lensbaby.com
thanks!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today