Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

3 hours ago by CatGargoyle

The Lutheran Home

view post

You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?....

Newer Topic | Older Topic

You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by mypoppy October 24, 2009 05:38AM reply | quote
posted by mypoppy
Am I reading this correctly?....do you have to custom cut your aperture discs to the various apertures?....

I had previously thought that the Creative Aperture Kit (10 Blank apertures) would give you the option of ordering these discs ALREADY CUT to apertures from 2" to 22" or whatever!..

If this is true, then what tool must be purchased to CUT the apertures?
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by RichB October 24, 2009 09:29AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

The replacement aperture kit has the various circular sizes already cut. The creative aperture kit has a heart and a star shaped aperture and several blanks which you need to cut for yourself. I have used a number of different shapes from Michael's store punches. Others have cut their own by hand to specific shapes.

Rich
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Projectphoto2008 October 25, 2009 12:43AM reply | quote
posted by Projectphoto2008

Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Projectphoto2008 November 05, 2009 06:28PM reply | quote

Thanks a lot, but what's in English " custom cut "?
Sorry, i don't seak English but i'd tried to translate with google but there isn't, could be " opening camera lens ? "
Thanks to all, greetings fabri.
Re: Si puo tagliare i aperturi supplementari dischi posted by mypoppy November 05, 2009 11:29PM reply | quote
posted by mypoppy
Provero a spiegare.... i dischi supplementari dell'apertura che vengono con il Lensbaby possono essere tagliati in figure. Non dovete fare questo a meno che desideriate a...
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Adam Stanislav November 06, 2009 02:45AM reply | quote
posted by Adam Stanislav

Fabrizio, "custom cut" means you have to cut it yourself or have someone cut it for you to your own design, as opposed to it being cut en masse at the factory.

See the dictionary definition.
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by ranfoto November 07, 2009 03:47PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Wait ! There's a factory for making custom apertures.....really ?

I've been cuttin' mine all by myself for all these years, dang !

Oh I see just a hypothetical factory :( nevermind .
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Adam Stanislav November 08, 2009 12:11AM reply | quote
posted by Adam Stanislav

ranfoto
Wait ! There's a factory for making custom apertures.....really ?

That would be nice, wouldn't it.
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by ranfoto November 08, 2009 03:12AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

That would be nice, wouldn't it.

Well.......if truth be told, it would take so long to get your AP's that you'd probably get bored with your Benders and find something better to occupy your creative time with!

Hee......so until wishful thinking becomes reality.....best to do it yourself......

Of course if folks talk about their wishes enough here, then Craig could figure there may be something to it.......then sure enough.... months or years down the road the goods are available in the Lensbaby Emporium .

I kid you not ! :))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 03:15AM by ranfoto.
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Bender November 23, 2009 01:40AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

It's a simple as a drill press or Dremel. Go wild. You're trying to make shapes and holes for light to come through so you can do anything you want really. The material cuts and drills very easily.

How about buying a large faceted gemstone or glass bead and drilling a hole in the disc to mount it in somehow, could be very interesting. I have tried overlaying the opening with screening material and other open metal mesh products. You could use clear drops of epoxy to create unusual light paths with additional light distortion properties. How about tiny prisms? Start lookiing around. I think there are a zillion possible things to do if you just start thinking about what you are doing and open your imagination.

Peter
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by ranfoto November 23, 2009 02:41AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

You got it, Pete the Bender.......and that goes for the main optic as well.......imagination is the key word :))
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Projectphoto2008 January 16, 2010 06:04PM reply | quote

Hello everyone,
After a while I do suffer, I would need your own opinion on these photos, what do you think??
I would buy the additional 1.6 X, but it's worth it??
Your own advice??
thanks to all
Ciao fabri

PS
sorry but I did a google translate :-(((( not know English, sigh .........
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by RHWeiner February 01, 2010 04:50AM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Bender
It's a simple as a drill press or Dremel.

Dremel...now why didn't I think of that? :)
I was wondering just how I was going to do custom cuts without slicing my finger or destroying a blank from overcutting!

Thanks.

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by jonesyjerrid February 02, 2010 04:29AM reply | quote
posted by jonesyjerrid

I have had much success with using a hole punch with paper, then sandwiching the piece of paper between to aperture rings (small f stops). Check you local craft store they have plenty of designs!
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by mas_apri February 04, 2010 02:34PM reply | quote
posted by mas_apri
I use a precision cutter to create shapes on the aperture disk.

I'm going to shoot with my new custom made striped aperture this weekend.
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by Pali Da August 31, 2010 10:36AM reply | quote
posted by Pali Da
How do I make a hole equivalent to a 2.8 Fstop? I have my blank disks sitting there and do not use my lensbaby composer because it only comes with a 5.6 .
Re: You have to "Custom Cut" your Aperture discs ?.... posted by rannestad August 31, 2010 10:40PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

That sounds strange. The composer should be supplied with f stops from 2.8 to 22. If they lack, you should contact the customer happiness department for a set of discs. If you bought it second hand, and didn't receive the discs you should order a set in the lensbaby shop.

I don't see a reason for cutting your own discs if you want a circular stop.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today