Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by strelar

The Scream

view post

Should Aperture Priority mode work?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by szafrica September 23, 2009 12:05PM reply | quote
posted by szafrica

Hi,

I have just gotten a Composer and have a Canon 40D. Aperture Priority does not work, should it? I have to use Manual mode, which is fine,just wondered if it is supposed to work?
Also when I use super wide angle lens and then go to take it off the whole lens of the original lensbaby comes off which is annoying and hard to put back in. Does anyone else have this problem? Trying to get used to it and I am having fun. :-)

Sarah
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by mypoppy October 26, 2009 04:15AM reply | quote
posted by mypoppy
Sarah,

I see that no one has answered your question....I wish I could help, but I don't even own a Lensbaby yet....this week I'll be buying a bunch of LB stuff..

Yes, Aperture Priority and/or Manual should get you going with LB. If aperture don't work, just keep using Manual mode. Sorry, I havn't told you anything you don't know already, but I did see that no one bothered to answer your very valid question and felt bad...

Okay, have fun with your Lensbaby stuff!.. and, submit some photos of what your doing with it.

mypoppy.......
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by rannestad October 26, 2009 04:30AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I have a canon 40D. Exposure is adjusted automatically in Av and P mode. Tv and M works as manual modes. Remember that even though it is set in Av mode, the aperture is not changing.

It sounds like you haven't fixed the optics properly in the composer. It shouldn't fall off.

Good luck with your new toy.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by szafrica October 26, 2009 04:48AM reply | quote
posted by szafrica

Thanks for the replies. I wonder why my light meter isn't working then. Hmmmm. I had the optics set in properly, but when you turn the fish eye lens, the lensbaby optics turn as well and come out.
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by Fatdeko November 11, 2009 09:20PM reply | quote
posted by Fatdeko
Remember that the LB is a "dumb lens"--the lens and the camera don't talk to each other because, well, they don't have to. They don't have to agree on things like the aperture setting because it's a physical hardware adjustment. (That's why your LCD shows F00 in the aperture box) The lightmeter, however, he don't care--he sees the light coming through a dumb lens the same way as a smart lens and just goes about doing his thing.

In M mode, you independently adjust the shutter speed and the aperture to get your exposure. But with the LB,the aperture is a fixed hardware adjustment that you set in the lens. So in M mode, you're only adjustment is the shutter speed and you have to "dial in" your exposure by adjusting the shutter.
In Av mode, while you aren't adjusting the aperture on camera, (again,the aperture is fixed in the lens)the exposure meter happily sets your shutter for you and you can make adjustments with EV compensation.
So with an LB, M and Av are pretty much the same thing--your only on camera adjustment is your shutter speed. I used to shoot my LB in Av mode because I had EV compensation in that mode and I could 'chimp' away at an exposure setting using EV compensation. Then I realized I had the "same" thing in M mode right at my finger tip on the main dial.

P and full auto leave you pretty much out of the equation.
In Tv (shutter priority) the lightmeter is effectively boxed out of the equation (there's no aperture for it to adjust)and for me is pretty much useless with the LB.
(Maybe this is why you think your lightmeter isn't working)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 09:44PM by Fatdeko.
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by rannestad November 11, 2009 10:13PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I don't agree with everything above.

Since the aperture cannot be changed through camera, this leads to the effect that:

P and Av modes are automatic modes. Camera adjusts the shutter speed according to the hardware set aperture. P and Av works equal with a LB

Tv and M are acting as manual modes. With a regular lens the Tv mode is also an automatic mode, but with a LB the camera cannot change aperture, it will work exactly the same way as in M.

Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by Fatdeko November 11, 2009 10:54PM reply | quote
posted by Fatdeko
Actually we agree more than you think we do.
You're exactly right, that with an LB, P and Av are the same thing--you adjust EV to change the shutter speed. It's a mode I never use and I was confusing it with CA mode which has no adjustment capabilities when a LensBaby is attached.

With a LensBaby in Tv mode, you get no feedback from the lightmeter/exposure meter, whereas in the other modes (M, Av, P) if you make an adjustment, the little needle in the viewfinder tells you where you are.
In Tv, you can set your shutter to 30" or 1/4000 and the exposure meter sits happily on "0" the entire time.
The original poster thought her lightmeter wasn't working and I think she may have been shooting in Tv.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 11:11PM by Fatdeko.
Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by rannestad November 11, 2009 10:56PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Ah, I see. Agree.

Re: Should Aperture Priority mode work? posted by szafrica June 21, 2010 02:54AM reply | quote
posted by szafrica

No, I was shooting in AV mode and light meter wasn't working. I was setting the f-stop to what aperture ring I was using, but the light meter did not work. :-(

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today