Lensbaby Studio Forums

Olympus E-30 and Composer

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by nezihc@aol.com August 23, 2009 09:05AM reply | quote
posted by nezihc@aol.com
I just bought a Composer to use with my Olympus E-30 DLSR.
I have 2 Questions;
1) I set the camera for A (Aperture Mode)to use and tried few of the Aperture disks came with the lens (particularly f4, f5.6 and f8). I can focus straight ahead with the center of image but when I tilt the Composer for the direction of the Sweet Spot and re-adjust with the focus ring, I am not getting sharp focus and the other parts of the image does not look to be blury either. Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated?
2) How would I set the Shutter Speed on the camera to '0' as suggested? When I connect the Composer I am loosing Camera Controls.
Thnx
Re: Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by kskinner August 24, 2009 09:16PM reply | quote
posted by kskinner

I use an E-3 and shoot in manual (M) mode and manual focus. Since you're using a fixed aperture, the camera can't detect your aperture setting. I always turn IS off as well assuming the LB would cause an IS meltdown. I either use an incident meter, occasionally the sunny 16 rule or guess & correct because TTL metering is often unreliable with LB (on my camera). I don't understand the question about setting the shutter speed to 0. With a fixed aperture, setting the shutter speed is your only control over exposure. If you're not familiar with shooting in manual mode, the LB is a fun way to learn about exposure. I'd pick up a book on exposure and also experiment a lot with your camera.

Good luck.

Keith Skinner
Berkeley, CA
[renegadeimage.wordpress.com]
Re: Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by nezihc@aol.com August 24, 2009 11:35PM reply | quote
posted by nezihc@aol.com
Thnx very much, Keith...I've not thought about turning IS off but I did try M mode because I exclusively shoot with M mode.I, however, could not set the shutter speed on M mode whether via TTL (not reliable at all) or Sunny 16 rule. The setting the shutter speed to '0' came from one of the forum members in photo.net using LB although he has stated that he is a Nikon user. In short, the control for shutter speed on my E-30 just does not respond when LB is attached unless it is set but I am not seeing it on the viewfinder and/or LCD displaying all control values for the camera. I have also tried to set ISO as well as WB to Auto which I don't usually do when I am shooting with normal lenses. Anyways, I really appreciated your suggestions and I would keep trying and see whether I have missed something in my previous trials.
Thank you...
Re: Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by Captured Light August 28, 2009 06:59AM reply | quote
posted by Captured Light

I just mounted my Composer on my E-30. It works in either aperture priority or manual mode. It's happy to select a shutter speed for me based on the amount of light it senses coming through whatever aperture disk mounted. The aperture value shows as -.- in either mode since the camera can't sense anything from the lens. Various metering modes seem to give me a pretty good exposure - at times I may need to compensate but then I do with other lenses also.

I'm not sure why you'd be seeing a shutter speed of 0 - mine are fully adjustable in 'M' and the camera has no problems picking a shutter speed in 'A'.

Due to the 2x crop factor with the 4/3 cameras, the sweet spot gets larger faster as your put in smaller apertures. You may want to center the sweet spot and focus on a scene with no aperture and take a "BASE" shot. Then change to each higher aperture and take another shot to see how quickly the sweet spot disappears for the subject distance you're shooting. This should give you some idea of how much you can bend and how big the sweet spot really is.

Hope some of this helps! There's no reason you shouldn't be able to use a composer with an Olympus camera.

Rick
Re: Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by kskinner August 30, 2009 03:35AM reply | quote
posted by kskinner

Hmmm... It must be one of the other settings that are coming into play but I can't think of what that would be right now. Something set to auto, no doubt.

Keith Skinner
Berkeley, CA
[renegadeimage.wordpress.com]
Re: Olympus E-30 and Composer posted by nezihc@aol.com September 03, 2009 12:53PM reply | quote
posted by nezihc@aol.com
It's working...I a not sure what the problem was before but I have decided to reset the camera settings. After I did that I then set my favorites such as my WB, EVs... and it seems to be working now.
Thnx

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today