Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

8 hours ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

how do you resize pic files to just 2mb?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by mariaB August 01, 2009 12:31PM reply | quote
posted by mariaB
i would like post too and have tried the past 3 days but have not succeeded. I have an iphoto library and i've tried resizing to the smallest jpeg but it still 6kb...i've tried in aperture but that makes bigger files too...so i've ran out of ideas...so please can anyone help?...thanks a bunch.

cheers,
maria
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by jonwaz August 02, 2009 05:23AM reply | quote
posted by jonwaz

hi maria

i think maybe you've already done it.

you say that you've resized to 6kb
(note: not 6mb)
which is very, very small.

if you resize to approx 300 kb - 500 kb that will be just fine.

hope this is of some help...

take care out there
jonwaz

--------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
Oscar Wilde
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by mariaB August 02, 2009 10:32AM reply | quote
posted by mariaB
thanks so much Jon,

i've tried with the smallest file i could possibly resize to but nothing happens...so it's either file size or my browser Safari isn't compatibly uploading because whatever I do it's being bumped out.....=(...oh well....c'est la vie

maria...=(
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by juznobsrvr August 05, 2009 01:16PM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

hi maria, if your using digital camera then you must be uisng some kind of photo editor (usually free with the purchase of camera). otherwise try the freeware gimp. just google the word and you can download it. almost all photo editors will allow you to resize the image. click on re-size and replace the pixel size to 700 x 500 or anything close to it. then replace the resolution. some people are content with 72 dpi. i usually go more than that. another way is when save as jpeg you can also specify the quality. choosing low or medium will usually do the trick. let me know if this helps.

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by mariaB August 09, 2009 06:24PM reply | quote
posted by mariaB
Hi rob,

Thanks so much for your suggestion I'll give gimp a try.

I actually have tried iPhoto (which i think is free on my Mac) and Aperture 2 (which we bought for it) and on Aperture has 72 dpi as the default size for jpeg, and I think I've tried every resizing option on both iPhoto and Aperture....and yet when I launch my attachments I actually get bumped out of the url as in I rebound back to the former page I was in, if it's not the size error messages that I get rolling down after I try to attach the files...

So is it file sizes that I'm doing wrong or could the culprit be the browser (in this case Safari)?...is anyone else using Mac and experiencing the same issues? ....sigh

mariaB
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by mariaB August 10, 2009 05:21PM reply | quote
posted by mariaB
Hi Rob,

I actually get this error thread (see below) bumping me back after I attempt to attach a file, I don't really know what it means, and I've tried using Firefox (browser) instead of Safari...so I really don't know, the files I've tries were only 1.9mb

"error thread Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/bin/growlnotify) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/lensbaby.ca/httpdocs:/var/www/vhosts/lensbaby.com/httpdocs/forum/photos:/tmp:/usr/share/pear) in /var/www/vhosts/lensbaby.ca/httpdocs/forum/common.php on line 29"

So I guess I've really tried everything then...=(

-----
maria
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by SKF August 13, 2009 12:12PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Maria,
I use a mac and safari and have no problems at all. I don't post from iphoto though. I use a three tier file system where I have my original and then post processed files saved. I then run an action in PS 3 that reduces the files size and saves it in the third tier 'uploads to LB' file. It is from there that I upload to Lensbaby. It sounds more complex than it is. Good luck, we want to see your work.
Cheers

steve
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by mariaB August 14, 2009 05:06AM reply | quote
posted by mariaB
hey steve,

Thanks so much!!!! Your steps DO work, i used aperture to resize under 2mb and built a folder on desktop called "Lensbaby Posts" and chose file from there, similar to your steps, I don't have PS 3....not yet...=)...did my first upload under general called "my muse"...thanks so much...for a long while there i thought i wasn't ever going to be able to post at all....

oh i used Safari as browser, it wasn't the culprit, it was just the right steps that was needed.

i really appreciate your help!....=)

cheers,

mariaB
Re: how do you resize pic files to just 2mb? posted by SKF August 14, 2009 08:42AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

No worries and happy posting from now on.
Cheers

steve

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today