Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

19 hours ago by strelar

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Composer and tripod question

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer and tripod question posted by Keithnc June 22, 2009 10:59PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

I just moved up to the Composer from the 3G for the Optics.

I used it this week-end and had some issues that maybe someone can help with. With the 3G on a tripod, you could compress or push the bellows to get the sweet spot sharp, then fine tune. With the Composer it seemed that you have to move the whole tripod. Is there another trick to help or is the Composer made for more hand holding shots?
Re: Composer and tripod question posted by sam June 23, 2009 02:52PM reply | quote
posted by sam

The Composer should work just as well on a tripod as the 3G, though the technique is different. Here is a tip: when looking at your subject matter, see if you can pre-determine where you want the sweet spot. Then, looking down at the Composer from the top of the camera, bend the lens to approximately the correct tilt to place the sweet spot where you want. Then focus with the barrel focus ring and once the subject is in focus, fine tune your tilt by making small adjustments to the tilt of the lens.

You don't really need to lock the Composer unless you are wanting to do many repeated shots without any change to the angle of the lens.

Does that help?

Sam

see with the eyes of a child
Re: Composer and tripod question posted by Keithnc June 24, 2009 06:30AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Thanks Sam, I'll try that.
Re: Composer and tripod question posted by sam June 24, 2009 06:34AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Please do post back and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sam

see with the eyes of a child
Re: Composer and tripod question posted by Keithnc June 24, 2009 10:01PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

I was thinking more about it, I guess my question was geared more toward macro work. It more is the forward and backward movement. An example, would be guess the distance needed and setup the tripod in front of a flower. With the 3G, you can compress/push the bellows alittle to get the sweet spot if you are a little off. Then fine tune with the focus ring. I was having problems with the Composer because it seems I would have to move the whole tripod. So, I was wondering if there was a tip/trick I was missing other than macro rails. Normal shots don't seem to be a problem, actually I can focus the sweet spot better with the Composer for those.
Re: Composer and tripod question posted by Fatdeko June 26, 2009 02:54AM reply | quote
posted by Fatdeko
Also consider the macro kit. It's cheap and it allows you to use the barrel focus when you're that close in. With the +10 you can get wicked close but with the +10 and the +4 together it's spooky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 02:57AM by Fatdeko.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today