Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

8 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by swag72 June 01, 2009 05:16AM reply | quote
posted by swag72
Wondering how to best achieve a tilt and shift model effect on some images. Got me wondering about the different shapes on aperture discs and what they achieve. For example, to obtain the effect I want, I need to have a fat sausage like area of focus - Do I get this with a similar shape on an aperture disc?

Hope that makes sense!!

Look forward to your replies.

Sara

Check out my Flickr here and see what I've been up to [www.flickr.com]
Re: Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by SKF June 03, 2009 09:50AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Sara,
I'm not sure that a sausage aperture will give you a tilt shift effect. It will give you sausage shaped bokeh however. I have acheived the effect with one of the wider apertures where you get a short depth of field. You will not get the wide area of focus, you know, the line of sharpness across the image but I think the other is generally acceptable. You do need to saturate the image and incease the contrast to acheive the effect. Various images exist on the forum, I would search for model, tilt shift or minature and see what you come up with. I actually bought my lens for this purpose but have well and truly been sidetracked by it other virtues. Good luck.

steve
Re: Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by swag72 June 03, 2009 02:45PM reply | quote
posted by swag72
Thanks for that Steve - Will have to get out there with the 2.8 disc in and see what I can some up with. Thanks for the tips on the contrast and saturation.
Re: Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by SKF June 07, 2009 09:29AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Sara,
What I did forget to tell you is that whatever shaped aperture you use out of focus points of light (Bokeh) will appear in that shape. See picture attached with star shaped aperture.
Cheers

steve
Re: Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by swag72 June 08, 2009 04:35AM reply | quote
posted by swag72
Interesting - I like this idea - Great for lights at Christmas!
Re: Aperture discs - What do the shapes achieve? posted by Crabcakes June 23, 2009 02:56PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean by "fat sausage like area of focus", but here's an interesting (if somewhat technical and rather lengthy) discussion of the DOF characteristics of the Lensbaby:

[lensbaby.com],

Hope this helps...

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today