Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP...

Newer Topic | Older Topic

What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by RaelynnJ April 01, 2009 04:40AM reply | quote
posted by RaelynnJ
I am having troubles with my Muse on my Nikon D40x, I took these 4 pictures without changing any settings on my camera.

The "white" picture was taken outside, at noon, full sun, would have been a nice picture of my dog laying by the pool.

The second picture is of my other two dogs, standing in the doorway, I was inside as well as the dogs, you can somewhat see the outline of my dogs body.

I then turned around and took picture #3 of the candle, with the backdoor open letting in natural light.

Picture 4 is of my dog, inside house lights on, no natural light, but has the orange hue to it.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to have my camera on particular settings when outside in full sunlight? Then a different setting while inside?

Any insight would be SO great!!
Thanks
RaelynnJ
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by Keithnc April 02, 2009 12:01AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

For your camera, you need to set on manual mode (M) and adjust your aperture and speed depending on the condition for metering. What is your setting for white balance? Your camera won't meter. This is from the FAQ area on this site.

Q. Why can't I get my Lensbaby to meter on my Nikon D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70(s), D80, D90, D100, N80, Fuji S1, S2, S3 etc.?

A. Older and more expensive current Nikon cameras have a mechanical link between the aperture mechanism on lenses with an aperture ring. Nikon stopped putting this mechanical interface on the lower priced camera bodies. In order to make a mount that physically accepts all F-mount lenses, but avoids messing up an active meter that has no way of knowing what aperture the lens is going to be at the moment of exposure, Nikon disabled the meter altogether on these lower priced models (this a relative criteria since we are talking about $2000 D100 cameras and $400 N80 cameras).
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by RaelynnJ April 06, 2009 06:03AM reply | quote
posted by RaelynnJ
I do have the camera set to Manual, and as for the white balance I have pretty much tried them all (the pictures I have posted I had it on AUTO) to achieve great looking pictures. I will play around with the aperture and speed a bit to see if I get anything better. Thanks for the insight!!

RaelynnJ
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by Mary Hockenbery April 06, 2009 06:12AM reply | quote
posted by Mary Hockenbery

I was surprised to see that often I have to manually set the speed to 1/5000 on my D70s for bright daylight (using lensbaby 2.0)
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by Kurt Norlin April 10, 2009 05:23AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

I have the histogram set so that it shows up when the image appears on the LCD. If the exposure is bunched up on one side it will tell me what direction I need to go. If you did not grow up using manual cameras it it will take some getting used to. Set your ISO at the lowest setting for the light you are working in. If you are shooting outdoors in bright sunlight this would be about 60 or 100 ISO. The LB seems to let in a lot more light than conventional lenses. When I first started shooting with the LB and My Fuji S3 Pro I ran into the same issue - no metering and no auto-exposure. As to White balance, that can be corrected later in your editing program althought it would be better if it can be taken care of in camera. Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 05:26AM by Kurt Norlin.
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by Keithnc April 13, 2009 12:06AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Do as Kurt suggest and display your histogram with every shot on your lcd. If you have your camera set to manual mode (M) already. My guess is that you either need to lower your ISO as Kurt suggested or increase your shutter speed for the first two shots. The candle shot looks fine and may only need minor adjustments. The orange tint may be cause by the light and what your white balance setting was on. I use auto for most of my shooting. You also do not mention what aperture ring you were trying to use. You can try using a smaller aperture ring to cut the sunlight also.
Re: Nikon D70s and Lensbaby Composer posted by gebster March 31, 2010 10:24AM reply | quote
posted by gebster
I used the Lensbaby previously on this camera without a problem. However,when I went to use it today, I attached the composer, switched to manual, changed the flash to manual, and after taking shots, the monitor shows a white screen flashing "highlights." On some of the shots, there were small black areas flashing, but not exactly like a histogram. Do you have any ideas for me.....spent 3 hours going thru any possibility, and it is no better.
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by n8 April 10, 2010 06:01AM reply | quote
posted by n8
Have you checked all of your settings? Make sure that your iso is set according to how much light you have available to you. If you're shooting in high light with your iso maxed, then you're going to get blown high lights. Also, keep in mind that when you're working in manual on that camera, the only settings you really have are shutter speed and iso. Aperture is all up to what ring you have in the lens, which brings up the next point...if you're not tweaking your shutter speed according to your lighting, then you need to change your ap ring. Granted, you lose some effect, but the principle remains the same as with upping your f-stop in camera. I would also suggest that you shoot in RAW if you can process it afterwards so that you have more control over your white balance, and some wiggle room with your exposure. My last suggestion is just simply check the screen after each shot and adjust your shutter speed accordingly. I shoot in high light with a f4 or 2.8 ring, but the d40 goes plenty fast in the shutter speed. Also, you may want to just take a test shot with your kit lens, then mimic the settings and ap ring (or shoot on A if you have a particular ap in mind).
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by daftmanic April 12, 2010 08:21AM reply | quote
posted by daftmanic
As others have alluded to, I think this may be a matter of just learning your camera. This is super important when using any manual lens. It doesn't get any more manual than a Lensbaby. :)
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by ranfoto April 20, 2010 08:43AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

And if you don't want to use a smaller aperture or use one of your larger Creative Apertures in bright light, think about using neutral density filters to lower the amount of light getting to your digi sensor .

This doesn't have to be expensive glass filters either, you can purchase sheets of neutral density material, cut it to match your particular LB aperture size .

Held in place with with your largest aperture ring in a sandwich .......sounds like a good product for new "Creative Apertures" from Team Lensbaby ? :O !
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by daftmanic April 23, 2010 12:06PM reply | quote
posted by daftmanic
I don't know about all that. Put it on manual, lower the ISO and adjust the shutter speed. I'm just sayin... I don't have a Nikon, but if you can't do that to adjust the exposure, I'm kinda glad I don't. :)

(Please don't start a flame war over that. haha...)
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by ranfoto April 24, 2010 05:13AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Bending folks don't get too inflamed, except when their LensBenders are over exposed......besides Bending is about creating images not just exposing images, there's a huge difference......

Plus before I start to flame up here, it doesn't matter what brand of camera one uses to capture with or for that matter it doesn't even matter if you use a Lensbaby to Bend with or not, Oooops......

Flame wars......sounds like something to get involved with to me......:) Very daft ! :)
Re: What are proper setting for my Muse on a Nikon D40x??? HELP... posted by daftmanic April 25, 2010 07:02AM reply | quote
posted by daftmanic
I actually like Nikon... Just don't have the need to buy one. I suppose if my bodies and all my lenses were stolen and I had to start fresh, I would consider one.

Regardless... I know what you are saying about "creating" the image. It's all about the art in the long run. I used a handed down Olympus OM-1n almost exclusively with TMax 400 up until I bought my Canon 2 years ago. I suppose that's also why I'm not afraid to shoot full manual.

I wish I had multiple exposure on my Canon though... Just to try it. That's the only technical thing about my camera that bums me. :)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today