Latest Post

4 hours ago by TG-J

Re: 63 Split Window Corvette

view post

Processing Software

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Processing Software posted by Willowtree March 10, 2009 12:19AM reply | quote
posted by Willowtree

Can you recommend a reasonable processing software for the simple minded; aka rookie? I’m working with a Canon 40D if that makes a difference.
Thank you in advance.

Cheers!
Amy
Re: Processing Software posted by astronomyadrienne March 10, 2009 01:30AM reply | quote
posted by astronomyadrienne

Hi Amy. What kind of processing are you hoping to do? I find that Photoshop Elements meets most of my needs, but I'm saving for Adobe Lightroom and Photomatix.
Re: Processing Software posted by Keithnc March 10, 2009 10:57PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Amy,

I use PaintShop Pro X2. It is relatively inexpensive compared to Photoshop.

Lightroom is a good product. Also a friend of mine that shoots Cannon swears by Capture One(http://www.phaseone.com)
Re: Processing Software posted by Willowtree March 10, 2009 11:34PM reply | quote
posted by Willowtree

I’d just like to do normal photo manipulations, add textures, boarders; general jazzy fun.

Thanks for the options to look into.

Cheers!
Re: Processing Software posted by juznobsrvr April 07, 2009 10:39AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

Hi Willowtree. This may come quite a bit late since I just joined this forum yesterday -- but have you tried GIMP. It's an open system that's free. [www.gimp.org]
Re: Processing Software posted by Kurt Norlin April 10, 2009 05:38AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

It just depends on what you need/want to do, how many images you have to deal with, and how much you are willing to invest.I have both LightRoom and Photoshop. LR2 is great, it allows me to make just about any correction I need, handles RAW files, is non-destructive, and cost just under $100.00. Since getting LightRoom I rarely use PS. Kurt
Re: Processing Software posted by sminenow April 11, 2009 07:11PM reply | quote
posted by sminenow

i LOVE lightroom 2 and also use photoshop for post-lightroom work

every one of my photos goes through both programmes before i consider it "finished" - even if only for very minor tweaks

so my advice is shoot RAW all the time, and get lightroom at least if u cant afford photoshop - or look at getting both by buying a slightly older version of PS off someone who has upgraded

"i reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Re: Processing Software posted by Poaceae April 13, 2009 10:53PM reply | quote
posted by Poaceae
Canon's RAW processing program (DPP) is extremely good. It is free and comes with the camera or can be downloaded from Canon's site.
Re: Processing Software posted by blobsmith April 17, 2009 05:01AM reply | quote
posted by blobsmith

Hi,
Although I am a firm believer in doing as little post processing as possible( I believe in getting it right with the camera, a hangover from my film days) when I do need to tweak or re touch a picture I use serif Photo plus 11 - it does all that I require and a lot more besides and is very good value for money - I got mine mail order for about £12.00 including postage for the software disc and a very comprehensive manual - I prefer a book to refer to - I wholeheartedly recommend it, and no, I have nothing to do with the company!
Re: Processing Software posted by Kurt Norlin April 21, 2009 02:38AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

Sminenow brings up a good point, unless you have to for some reason, you don't need to buy the latest version of a application. Check eBay for a version that is one or two steps older. The cost is often quite low. Kurt

Happy Trails
[kurtnorlinphotography.com]

[altviznotebook.blogspot.com]

Flickr: [www.flickr.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today