Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Some more for critique please

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Some more for critique please posted by SKF January 12, 2009 08:02PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Some of these are from the series in my last post. I need to get better organised and post with similar themes but I'm trying to spread my wings a bit as well.

The first might interest some. I read somewhere about someone using alternative optics so I got to thinking about this and ended up pulling apart an old rifle scope (beautiful optics) and after little modification was able to fit it to my 3 G. That dandelion would be barley 1 cm in length, the magnification is huge. I have to get as close as 1 inch to get the subject in focus. Hard to find things small enough but as all this only happened today i haven't looked to far.

Apart from the frame the 1st has no PP and the others have varying amounts, vintage, scratches etc.

Hope you enjoy.

Steve.

steve
Re: Some more for critique please posted by ChrisG January 12, 2009 08:06PM reply | quote
posted by ChrisG

I love photo 1.

but the rest is also great. You are a guru with this lens.

Chris

[www.digirelax.nl]

"The Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open" - Rickson Gracie
Re: Some more for critique please posted by SKF January 12, 2009 08:10PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Chris,

Thanks, it makes it easier doing something you love, I love photography but I really love this lens and its potential.

Cheers

Steve.

steve
Re: Some more for critique please posted by RichB January 12, 2009 08:21PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Steve,

#1 is a cool and colorful abstract. I also like especially the piano image.

Rich
Re: Some more for critique please posted by BearWoodsDavid January 12, 2009 08:36PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Steve,
Very creative idea on the scope optics. Ranfoto loves taking stuff apart and rebuilding things too. Number 1 is very nice, I really like the look in the piano keys and the tricycle.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Some more for critique please posted by MattW January 12, 2009 09:26PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Interesting post - I like the spread of themes. Out of the six I like the processing on the trike the best, I love the deep colours. Second would be the piano - I like how you chose to focus the viewer on the maker's name, rather than the keys.

Number one is a nicely done abstract/macro, all the more impressive with the optics you used (a great irony using a rifle scope to macro a dandelion seed).

Matthew
Re: Some more for critique please posted by saflower January 13, 2009 08:03AM reply | quote
posted by saflower

Very nice work. I like 4 and 5 the best.
Re: Some more for critique please posted by babuci January 13, 2009 10:59AM reply | quote
posted by babuci
All the pictures hold something special. #1 is so delicate.

Tunde
Re: Some more for critique please posted by ranfoto January 13, 2009 01:53PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

So Steve, I'm assuming you attached the rifle scope element as a Macro-conversion lens ?

Finding unique optics to create with is indeed part of the fun game, kewl .....nice group for Bending the parts, but don't forget to step back and compose some with a wider perspective .

Many of us discover the closer we get to our subject the better the bokeh Bending, but there's always more to this Bending like complete story telling, well that's my viewpoint on this group, but I haven't seen any of your other posts yet......so I better check out your gallery to see what else you've got going :))
Re: Some more for critique please posted by tigrovaya-lilya January 13, 2009 04:52PM reply | quote
posted by tigrovaya-lilya

#1 is very soft, but I think that #2 wins!

Olya S.
Re: Some more for critique please posted by ade_mcfade January 13, 2009 07:04PM reply | quote
posted by ade_mcfade
pretty diverse set here - impressive use not only of the lensbaby, but shows good imagination too. The tree shot for instance would have been pretty boring with a normal lens, but you've use the blur to create something far beyond what a normal lens could do.

the colours in the blurred areas of the dandilion are lovely pastels too

the kiddies tricycle could be straight out of The Shining!

impressive - hard to pick a winner, so I won't ;-)
Re: Some more for critique please posted by SKF January 13, 2009 07:18PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Thanks to you all.
ranfoto, I see what you mean by stepping back, not one of those images show the object in it's entirety, I'll look at the rest on my hard drive and consider.
Ironic shooting images with a rifle scope. Initially I removed an element (and chipped it) and was able to hold it right in the lens with blu tack. I was happy with that (but not the chip) so found another scope of even better quality and lo and behold I unscrewed the end and it fits inside the 3G without removing it from the body. So now to find an element without so much magnification but still more than the 4 and 10+ from lensbaby. The search continues and thanks to you all for the encouraging comments.

Cheers

steve

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today