Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

16 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

My First Pinhole Shots

Newer Topic | Older Topic

My First Pinhole Shots posted by PeggySue67 January 07, 2009 03:39AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

Out of all the optic swaps I've tried so far, the Pinhole Optic has been the trickiest.

I am unable to see anything through the viewfinder. The photos once uploaded are covered with spots. Due to lack of viewfinder vision, my focus and composition are usually way off.

These are the first photos from my first attempt with the Pinhole Optic. Aside from cropping and spot removal these photos are untouched.

Any and all tips are welcome. I do like how these came out, but they are only 5 out of 100 taken. Help!!

*peggy.sue*

“I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.” ~Jim Morrison
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by jad January 07, 2009 03:49AM reply | quote
posted by jad

#2 is wonderful and I think worth the 100 other shots. I don't have a pinhole but will keep watching for more of them.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by PeggySue67 January 07, 2009 03:51AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

Thank you Joye .. I like that shot too .. especially the rainbow coloring that appeared at the top. This was like shooting blind ... and as you can see they all turned out different! lol

Thanks again :)

*peggy.sue*

“I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.” ~Jim Morrison
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by jWebb January 07, 2009 04:55AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Peggy Sue,
Wonderful shots, and #2 is especially nice. The spots you see on the image are dust on your sensor. When you expose for such a long period, the dust comes into focus. I will occasionally clean my sensor, but more likely will simply spot remove the dastardly imperfections in post processing. The pin hole is difficult to use and the keepers are few, but the ones that work are worth all the effort.
Jack
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by RichB January 07, 2009 05:07AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Peggy Sue,

#2 is my favorite as well. Thanks for sharing some of your first pinhole images with us!

Rich
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by PeggySue67 January 07, 2009 05:52AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

Thanks Jack and Rich,

The camera I am using is a brand new Canon 40D which has a self-cleaning-sensor. Any photos I take using other lenses are spotless. So you can imagine my gasp when I saw the chicken pox on the pinhole shots! I will work on cleaning the Pinhole optic prior to attachment, but as I said my sensor is self-cleaned each time my 40D is turned on and off. And, my local camera shop cleans it as well. So .. hmm .. dunno.

Either way .. I am so hooked and addicted to Lensbabies I can deal with spots :)

Thanks all. I feel so very welcome here. Much appreciated.

*peggy.sue*

Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by BearWoodsDavid January 07, 2009 07:32AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Peggy Sue, very nice, I too love #2 especially.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by kmac January 07, 2009 07:58AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Thanks for sharing this series - my favorite is the second image.
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by PeggySue67 January 08, 2009 05:55AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

Thank you very much for the input. And @David I am going to attempt that laser pointer tip with the Pinhole and see if it helps me. Much appreciated all. Very nice group here.

*peggy.sue*

Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by jbrunjes January 08, 2009 12:36PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Peggy,
the reason you see spots on the pinhole shots is because it is an incredibly narrow aperture. If you shoot the sky at f/22 with one of your other lenses you will probably find some of the spots you see in the pinhole shot. I was about to post a question if anyone was having trouble with pinhole shots due to a dirty sensor. I don't think I can get mine clean enough to take a good pinhole shot. I also like #2.
Joby
Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by PeggySue67 January 09, 2009 02:00AM reply | quote
posted by PeggySue67

Thanks so much Joby

*peggy.sue*

Re: My First Pinhole Shots posted by crfrey71 January 13, 2009 02:49AM reply | quote
posted by crfrey71

Peggy,

Sweetwater Bridge is a a good lensbaby subject. It is a hard bridge to compose, because the 94 is right next to it and there is so much growth around it. I think the zone plate or plastic might be more fitting for this shot, because it will really do nice things, such as soften the vegetation surrounding the bridge and give it a little more mood.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today