Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by TG-J

Re: side light to flare

view post

Composer fresh out of the box

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer fresh out of the box posted by MelissaGrace November 21, 2008 11:19PM reply | quote
posted by MelissaGrace
I just received my Composer and am very excited!! I am new to photography and obviously new to the Composer. I am signing up for Kathleen's class at www.ppsop.com. I am a little confused on the instructions. It says to focus on the sweet spot and adjust the Composer and then focus again. Am I refocusing on my sweet spot? And will it come in "sharp" when I refocus? Here are the first pictures I took. Nothing special, just playing around. I look forward to the feedback and any suggestions you may have.
Re: Composer fresh out of the box posted by ranfoto November 23, 2008 04:57AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Melissa: I think you've got it, now just get a bit more critical on the area you want sharp, some more practice and you can focus on making aRt ......!
I need help... please. posted by akrummel November 23, 2008 06:24AM reply | quote
posted by akrummel
I am looking to mount the new composer lense on a video camera. I am open to different cameras, but those of the HD or HDV format. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Re: Composer fresh out of the box posted by Craig (Admin) November 24, 2008 03:35AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Hi MelissaGrace,

Welcome to Lensbabyland.

Looks like you have a good start.

The instructions should have read, focus in the center of your image when your Composer is in an un-tilted position. After finding your focus in the center of your image, tilt your Composer in the direction you wish your sweet spot of focus to move, readjust your focus to ensure that the sweet spot of focus is as sharp as possible before making your picture.

No tilt is necessary to achieve the Lensbaby look and it appears that in the second and third images you have tilted your Lensbaby only slightly, first to the right and then to the left.

Your last image would seem to be best suited for zero tilt and the stem of your pumpkin would be in focus while the rest would be increasingly blurry as you move away from the stem in the sweet spot.

Your first image appears to have been tilted too far to the left to be able to achieve sharp focus on the dog's eye.

On non-full-frame cameras tilting the Composer all the way in one direction or another will put your sweet spot at least partly, if not completely, out of your image area. A little tilt goes a long way on the smaller sensor cameras.

Looking forward to seeing more images.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Composer fresh out of the box posted by MelissaGrace November 24, 2008 04:37AM reply | quote
posted by MelissaGrace
Craig, Thank you so much! This makes so much sense now. I've been struggling trying to figure this whole thing out (and having fun too). This gives me something to work on and I will post more so that I can continue to receive such wonderful critiques! The help I've received from everyone has been wonderful.
Best,
Melissa
Re: Composer fresh out of the box posted by ranfoto November 25, 2008 02:51AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

akrummel : I think your question won't get answered unless you post to a new topic or just send an email to customer happiness on your quest for Composer Video cams .....

If you just want short movie clips there new Nikon D90 may be useful, as it can take both stills and movies, but it's not really a video cam .

The technology is headed in the direction you desire, but not quite there yet for dual mode capturing .

I'm sure someone at Team Lensbaby can direct you to a simple solution to using the Composer with video though.....try again !

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today