Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

Leaving It All Behind

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Leaving It All Behind posted by Daifuku Sensei November 11, 2008 12:54AM reply | quote
posted by Daifuku Sensei
First night out with the beautiful Muse and Zone Plate optic. 15 second exposure.

Thanks for looking!
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by igorsv November 11, 2008 03:18AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

I like the idea. The image is well composed. I think the image would've been stronger without the light above the subject. My eye is drawn to the bright light instead of focusing on the subject.

Igor.
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by Daifuku Sensei November 11, 2008 03:21AM reply | quote
posted by Daifuku Sensei
Thank you, Igor. I will try shooting it again or cropping it to compare. This new bending technique takes some time to get used to! :)
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by Craig (Admin) November 11, 2008 04:25AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm surprised at how much I like dirty sensors with the pinhole/zone plate. I never expected that.

My first reaction is that this is strong and well excecuted. After reading Igor's post it does feel like some unnecessary competition between the figure and the light. Did you sharpen the pattern around the light? I'd like to see this pattern not as crisply defined as it is in this image. When everything else is without sharp edges the sharpened (?) highlight takes on an even stronger presence in the scene.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by Daifuku Sensei November 11, 2008 06:02AM reply | quote
posted by Daifuku Sensei
Craig, the whole image has been sharpened, hence the sharp point of light. It seems the Lensbaby is making my usual post-processing habits obsolete :P

Oh, and does the Zone Plate only exaggerate dirty sensors, or is this part of the Optic? I like to think I keep the inside of my camera rather clean, and the specks are not visible with traditional lenses (though that could be due to refraction vs. diffraction in this case). I do like it though.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try shooting again without such a strong light source and see which I prefer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 06:05AM by Daifuku Sensei.
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by BearWoodsDavid November 12, 2008 10:33AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Wow, I am impressed at holding the Muse stationary for 15 seconds. Great stuff, the jury is out with me on the light still.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by ranfoto November 12, 2008 04:53PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Hold on, the funk is part of the message.......life is a merry-go-round ........it's all part of Zoning Out !
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by mark4flies November 14, 2008 07:27AM reply | quote
posted by mark4flies
I like what you did here. I will address only the technical aspect of a dirty sensor.

A pinhole or zone plate have such a huge depth of field; it actually extends all the way back into the camera to the sensor. I learned this lesson the hard way with a pinhole aperture fashioned out of a camera body cap. I was sure that the dirt was on the clear plastic film that covered the pinhole to reduce the dust attracted to the charged sensor. I had a mental block about it actually appearing on the surface of the filter directly in front of the sensor! It was not until I 'wet' cleaned my sensor that I was rid of it all.

Craig finds the sensor dirt in your picture adding something positive. I found the dirt distracting for the series of images I was composing at the time. It really depends on what you want to include and express.

The dirt did not show up when I used a lens for the same scene. While the overall effect of a pinhole is soft (zone plate is even softer), the extreme DOF is a killer when it comes to dirt.
Re: Leaving It All Behind posted by Daifuku Sensei November 18, 2008 12:03AM reply | quote
posted by Daifuku Sensei
David, actually the Muse was on a tripod as I sat against the wall. Some fine job sitting still for that long it would have been though :)

Ran, very good observation... Zoning out, I like it!

Mark, thank you for the very insightful explanation. I understand now how it functions. Cheers!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today